News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

leaky panniers

Started by mwrmoore, August 03, 2012, 07:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwrmoore

mine standard panniers leak - i'm assuming this is a manufacturing benefit so that your kit can get washed as you ride along. However that's not ideal for me so i wondered if anyone had managed to overcome this. i've tightened all the bolts i can get at to pull it in, but can't establish if the water comes up from the bottom from spray or down from the top any suggestions other than bin liners...

Ta
Matt

Spud

Water tight bags is the easiest way to go cheers Spud  :wink:

iansoady

There were lots of threads about this here and in the other place some years ago. Not sure which model you have but on the 955is the panniers were "assembled" by the supplying dealer. Depending on their (lack of) skill they would use no / the wrong / the right sealant - guess which mine had?

I ended up taking mine to bits completely and sealing the hinges and mountings with ordinary bathroom silicone and that seemed to work perfectly.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

mwrmoore

thanks ian

i searched for threads but none seemed to show up - its a 955i and every bolt and joint seemed loose, were the bottom hinges easy to get at?

cheers
Matt

iansoady

Yes they're easy but you need to drill out the pop rivets. I replaced them with stainless nuts & bolts. They're a bit tricky to get aligned when you reassemble them. It's worth taking photos so you can check that everything's going back in the right order.....
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Stubert

Quote from: "mwrmoore"thanks ian

i searched for threads but none seemed to show up - its a 955i and every bolt and joint seemed loose, were the bottom hinges easy to get at?

cheers
Matt

I have found "search for all terms" works alot better than the top option.

:lol:
2003 955i Black

This Space For Rent

PeteH

These are great for holding anything you want to keep dry...

www.greatoutdoorsdirect.co.uk/p-5166-ge ... k-bag.aspx

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/camping/wi ... a9qg%3D%3D

You can get smaller ones too. Also keep an eye out for Aldi..they have some good stuff too.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Spud

Big sale in "go outdoors" at the moment for waterproof bags ect cheers spud  :wink:

Chris Canning

Our givi topbox doesn't leak but everything still gets put in a bin liner,even though most stuff is already in vacum bags. :D

klingklang

I agree with the bad assembly of those. Mine were leaky as hell when I got them and after a total checkup, did not got water in since that time. Check my post and picture in that thread:

Does your Triumph Luggage leak?
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,2000

mwrmoore

thanks folks, will pull them apart and reseal with silicone.

one that not, the rubber seals that are alluded too - are these on the recess of the tongue and groove closure - seem to be absent on mine if that is the case - therefore i suspect a major part in the problem...

D1verPhil

Only had my Tiger a few weeks and the panniers and top box need to be emptied of water after a couple of hours standing in the rain. Can't see any seals anywhere, so this might be the problem.

Anyone got pictures of a non-leaky fully sealed pannier and box?
Cheers, Phil

BTW - it's been pi55ing down all day and my bike's parked outide the office - anyone got a mop?

klingklang

my never leaked since the mod above untill 2 weeks ago.... been hit by a car.  Need to change both cases.  That beeing said I will try to take picture of side case seal this weekend.  Do like I did, blow some baby powder every where and splash it with the gardening hose.  Seeing where it come from help a lot to solve the problem. Cant tell for the top, don't have one

since my cases need to be replaced...I will probably have parts to sell when I'll get the new ones.

klingklang