News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

just joined the steamer club but got problems with my ride .

Started by windscreenman1, August 18, 2012, 12:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

windscreenman1

hi all ive just aquired a 97 tiger  :D
but while riding it home it ran ok until i got onto the open road gave it the twist of the wrist and was very dissapointed as it bogged down then cleared then bogged again and left a trail of lovely black smoke my wife was behind me in the car and said i dissapeared in a cloud it ran a bit better as i was getting closer to home but still smokey any suggestions would be appreiciated
 :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
thank you

Mustang

start with carbs ..........................

windscreenman1

thanks for the reply mustang this bike belonged to hoss from billingham so ive inhereted the problem kitty
ive ordered some carb cleaner and thats where i shall start my investegations will keep you posted as im new to triumph but if head has to come off ill do valve guide stem seals at the same time im no pro but capable and willing so fingers crossed ill sort it
cheers

FoothillRyder

Acquire a leakdown tester, pull the carbs and go through 'em, while things are soaking in cleaner run a leakdown on all three. Not much else that can cause this kind of symptom really.
- FoothillRyder

'97 Trophy 3, '98 Tiger, '96 Sprint
AMA 289558, COP# 0001, BIR# 47
www.foothillryder.com

windscreenman1

thanks for that i shall get myself a gasket set ordered and pull the head off i think the head gasket has gone anyway do you happen to to know if a trophy head will fit as  i can get one cheaper than buying oil seals?looks to be in good order too
all advice taken on
thanks

windscreenman1

Ok been in garage and pulled all plastics off  removed filler cap to find water sitting under it so water in tank I presume removing fuel now will use that in my lawn mower later once it settles So will strip carbs and see  :?  Still waiting for gaskets and cleaner comming so done all I can today will keep posting as I get on with it
Cheers

windscreenman1

ok now removed fuel tap to release all the cloudy pond water from the bottom of the tank and ordered new filler cap rubber im just hopeing there is no corrosion in the carbs as this seems to have gone on for a while while hoss had her she did show signs of being a good kitty on the ride home inbetween the bogging and smoke the only reason i took the filler cap out was i saw a bit of a ruffled edge didnt think i was lucky :lol:  well see and keep my fingers crossed the tank had a lot of water spottong when empty so gave it a good dousing of wurth ultra 2040 good gear for swiches too :idea:  going to leave it empty to dry out till my profi fuel max gets here then ill charge her upwith some exellium fuel  oh bo**ocks :cry:  :evil:  need to get filler rubber here first i love waiting for parts me ! :x
cheers

windscreenman1

the breather pipe at the back of the tank ,is it a one way or not as ive blown down it and tried to suck it appears to be blocked but i dont want to knack anything  :?  as my haynes manual not here yet thought i would ask on here
oh yes and reserve position on tap isnt working either is there a fix or is it a new one? thanks :wink:

Sin_Tiger

Had a busy day.

The drain pipe itself is just a tube, no valves, which means yours is blocked. Be very careful trying to poke the drain pipe as its moulded into the tank, have a search I recall somebody posted up some pics of the tank split in two that shows it very well. Plenty of dialogue on here about it.

The petcock can be cleaned up if you are lucky with the O ring condition, probably furred up from the water sitting in the bottom of the tank, I seem to recall the O rings are a difficult size to find.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

windscreenman1

Thanks for the reply I'm wondering if this is the answer to my rough running I hope it is I've cleared breather / drain was badly blocked only place for water was into tank this has been a problem since February if you check the posts from the previous owner nice guy but not a mechanic in any way shape or form. If I can I want to run bike till winter then do head valves and stem seals then it will keep me out of the wife's way for a bit anyhow
I'm going to play it by ear from now on  will update when filler rubber seal is here and I can get her running again
Cheers

rf9rider

The fuel tap isn`t really fixable, they usually leak, its the plastic cone shape piece inside that wears out, cheap fix is to buy a Yamaha one, i`ll put the link up for it in a bit when i find it.
Its a straight fit, but you only get around 10 to 15 miles on reserve.

windscreenman1

thanks for the info by the way i sat and read your resto job fantastic she looks great in white. 8) i just want mine to run that would be good for me thank you for the link i will look into that .i got it as a project as it ran like sh*te so stopping water getting into tank is priority ive ordered new seal from triumph ,big carb stripdown and hope theres no damage to slides or needles but must have been 1.5 gallons of milky petrol in tank i am keeping my fingers crossed the cheaper the fix the better for me
cheers

FoothillRyder

Should have come back to stay up to speed since my first reply, my bad. It definitely sounds like going through the fuel and vacuum systems may be all you need to do. I'm doing that now on my '97 Trophy 3. Did several start/stops and finally decided to bite the bullet, get new gaskets/o-rings for everything, a new OEM airbox/air filter, and a new OEM fuel tap. Total for all the 'parts' was less than $200.

Keep us posted!  8)
- FoothillRyder

'97 Trophy 3, '98 Tiger, '96 Sprint
AMA 289558, COP# 0001, BIR# 47
www.foothillryder.com

windscreenman1

thats not a lot of cash !
 :shock: you can get all that stuff here for about twice the price :evil:
cheaper in usa
made in the uk
i love england me!!! :wink: