News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

That Metalguru chap !

Started by Chad, August 26, 2012, 04:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad

watch him.

he ate all the biscuits :hat10 :hat10 :hat10 :hat10 and turned my Tiger into a monster :eusa_clap :notworthy

thanks to Nige  i now have a pussy cat whilst filtering that turns into a homicidal maniac when the throttle is wound open :pimp :pimp 

Nige i thank you Sah !!!  :headbang  :eusa_clap

ill see if i can dig the pics out of my phone
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

Spud

So what you had done to it then, prey tell cheers Spud  :thumbsup

metalguru

Quote from: Chad on August 26, 2012, 04:36:46 PM
watch him.

he ate all the biscuits :hat10 :hat10 :hat10 :hat10 and turned my Tiger into a monster :eusa_clap :notworthy

thanks to Nige  i now have a pussy cat whilst filtering that turns into a homicidal maniac when the throttle is wound open :pimp :pimp 

Nige i thank you Sah !!!  :headbang  :eusa_clap

ill see if i can dig the pics out of my phone

Glad to be of help there young man and thank you for the kind words.
Just how a tigger should be too, look out for the 55MPG(uk) at 90MPH though!!
The biscuits were just great even though the whole packs had to be sampled, just to ensure they were ok!!     :thumbsup
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Chris Canning

See there you go you can Bixxer can organise a lap top weekend,no camping and offroading just a 4 star hotel and nice fuel maps  :qgaraduate

metalguru

Quote from: Spud on August 27, 2012, 08:54:50 AM

Girlies are like girlies, if you put the right digits in the right hole at the right time and amount and make them really happy to get revved up they can be ridden anyway you like, for as long as you like, making them happy to obey your every command and desire.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Spud

Oh my I'm blushing,  :love10  cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Chris Canning

MG and Bixxer could be sat on a fortune,for you guys who do not delve into such dark corners,try Google and Hilltop Motorcycles/BMW/Remap and GS or K.

For those that can't be bothered he charges £360 to blow a new map in,£330 if there's a group of 4,he reckons at a push he can do 8 or 9 in a day,and their queueing up like you wouldn't beleave,I'll leave you lot to do the maths.

I actually went yesterday to see this guy, he's become some kind of fuelling guru(allegedly!!),I'll discribe the conversation as interesting!!!

Chad

Quote from: metalguru on August 29, 2012, 12:24:25 AM
Quote from: Spud on August 27, 2012, 08:54:50 AM

Girlies are like girlies, if you put the right digits in the right hole at the right time and amount and make them really happy to get revved up they can be ridden anyway you like, for as long as you like, making them happy to obey your every command and desire.
yeah but they dont go apeshit if you do play with another Girly :hat10 :hat10 :hat10
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

metalguru

Quote from: Chris Canning on August 29, 2012, 09:42:31 AM
MG and Bixxer could be sat on a fortune,for you guys who do not delve into such dark corners,try Google and Hilltop Motorcycles/BMW/Remap and GS or K.

For those that can't be bothered he charges £360 to blow a new map in,£330 if there's a group of 4,he reckons at a push he can do 8 or 9 in a day,and their queueing up like you wouldn't beleave,I'll leave you lot to do the maths.

I actually went yesterday to see this guy, he's become some kind of fuelling guru(allegedly!!),I'll discribe the conversation as interesting!!!

Quite an interesting place to be in.

Read through the write ups and watched some utube stuff all the guys that go to Hilltops place have nothing but praise for the rather expensive work, although the set-up is good quality.
As the guy says he has spent a large amount of money developing the software and is not willing to divulge his source.

Perhaps someone who is a software guru could explain how he manages to access all ecu's, or perhaps it is just Keihin as all the bikes worked on were late models.

Another theory is perhaps he uses Power Commander/Tuneboy software reverse engineered by software gurus.

Anyone throw any light on the subject??
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Chris Canning

In no particular order,the U-tube thing is truely cringe worthy it's even painfull to watch on your own.

£360 to have a map blown in is serious bucks,there's 30 quid off in a group of 4 and the cheeky bugger reckons he can do 9 in a day,check on the net 18 months ago it was £200 and last year £250,must be inflation,in his defence you'll pay serious bucks to have a map blown in on a TD car or motorhome.

The reverse engineering on the ECU to get code is the only clue,what ever he is doing doesn't take a heap of time thats for sure,and one of his quirks is low figures on his first dyno run,he's finding 20hp on GS's and in the case of a K1200 46hp,yea I know I thought the same as well.

I'm not telling all the story but I know for a fact he doesn't use either a PC or rapid bike.

Were it gets even more complicated,he gets some good reports,but you know just like I do,blow fuel in were the emissions are taken and you'll improve midrange anyway,and your average biker who's had no dealings with the like before will think it's magic.

Is he a rocket scientist or a blagger thats the question,I know a lot of folk in the trade and racing and around his parts,no one has ever heard of him.

Bixxer Bob

I've said already, MG's maps are more refined than mine as he has spent time working on the fine detail. Mine are more of a blunt instrument but do make a very significant difference and I've the dyno graph to prove it. 

Joking aside, where we would stand trying to make money out of this I'm not sure.  I'm happy to help folks with the caveat that it's at their risk and I can always blow their old map back in provided the reason for the rough running is not a corrupt map.  You can't read a corrupt map.  But charging money is a very different scenario....  for me anyway.  For MG it might be different as he's already in the trade.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Well because of my K1200 which has dubious fuelling at best,I've been more like Sherlock Holmes this week,looking at this guy at Hilltop,which frankly has taken me up allsorts of avenues along the way I can tell.!!!!!

I've leave MG and Bixxer on here to comment on fuelling etc,it's over my head,but the important bit is knowing a man that can,it's a shame MG isn't closer but my Tiger is pretty good but it would be intersting to see the difference,but it's my K that causes grief.

As for charging,why not,it's your hard work and knowledge that got you there,if folks want the same why shouldn't they pay,the fact that folks can turn up on a board like this and find folks that know what they are talking about is the pay off for joining the board,not getting it done for now't.

How much????,my last map put in by a dealer in 010,I got change out of 17 quid,the GS lot are queuing up in groups of 4 to pay £330 each so there's a pretty big gap  :XXsunsmile

metalguru

I can remember the day I logged on to here and was knocked out by the wealth of information contained and forthcoming from all. There is someone, somewhere on this planet and forum will be able to sort out any problems we may have.
This info has been sought by experience good, bad or through research, and therefore if I can help I gladly will. If any reward is offered (not only money) it is much appreciated but not expected as we are all here to help each other. Somewhat traditional amongst bikers. As soon as fixed rates occur then one may as well take the stealers route and not know if the work has been carried out, let alone modifications, stealers are another reason we are here.

It has been such an experience working for bike dealers and myself over the years, (different job now) that I have always asked the question 'why', this has got me into trouble in jobs before now through pricing etc, but have answered the problem by perseverance, was much better when my own boss!
The whole EFI thing with Triumphs has been a very steep and concentrated 'why', just trying in the early days to get the thing to at least idle smoothly was a challenge.

It does seem strange that the guy at Hilltops doesn't seem to carry out the preliminary tests to ensure all calibrations and values are within tolerance, as the remapping without will be worthless. He does seem to have a lead of some sort connected to the bikes so one would hope some adjustments are being made but the software to access all ecu's????
Perhaps an email to Alain will be in order.
Unless he is loading a predescribed map into the ecu, I cannot see how he is remapping that quickly as all bikes are different and will need differing map requirements, still slightly puzzling but not yet a 'why'!
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Chris Canning

It's been funny a week ago I stumpled into this(Hilltop) and as the week has gone on I've dug up allsorts of bodies!!,it's been an education as I'm now starting to realise aftermarket fuelling has move on from the like's of PC's and Rapid bike etc,rather strangely the Tiger ECU was a head of it's time when it comes to altering maps,and with regular issues still not exactly stone age.

metalguru

Curiosity got the better of me and I mailed Tom the vid about this guy at Hilltop and this was the mail I sent.

Hi Tom
I am very curious about a guy in UK seems to be remapping any make of motorcycle and tuning on a Dyno.

Here is a video documentry of some guys who visited him. The only clue is, he has got a software guru to reverse engineer the software to gain access to the ECU. 

In your opinion is this possible and could TuneEcu have the same capabilities??

His reply came back,

The results, I doubt such performance gains only with software are untrustworthy.

With Software a maximum of 10 hp more power can be achieved.

I know of no reputable tuner that can more than 10 hp achieve only with software .

Sure there may be some cases, possibly one of a hundred bikes.

Such automated tuning, with TuneECU unfortunately not possible, as is the tuning process slightly more complicated

Automated tuning can be done for example with TuneEdit or Power Commander.

Best regards,

Tom

Nuff said I think.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers