News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger Spot Check

Started by Broon, September 05, 2012, 01:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Broon

Hi,

I'm going to be viewing a few Tigers soon and wondered if any of you guys had advice on what to check when looking at the vehicles, such as leaking seals etc?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Broon

rf9rider

Which model/year you looking at?

Broon

Broon

It may be the case that I buy this 885 I'm going to see this weekend, but I'm a little worried about the common faults and problems with these bikes. I'm not going to let it put me off, as I know that all bikes have their own problems, but I just want to make sure I can do everything in my power to avoid problems.

Is there a general guide line as to what to get fixed as soon as I get the bike? Such as the breather hose fix ... this will be my second big bike and I really want it to last as long as possible. I'm just worried of having it for a few weeks and it blowing up :(

Any help appreciated!

John Stenhouse

I've had an 885i since 2001 and it's been bomb proof, doesn't suffer from the stator problems of the 955, everyone who has ridden it says it's the nicest fuel injection bike they've ridden and the engine is a gem.

The only thing apart from service items I've had to put on it is vacumn pipes and that's all.

I hasten to add that it has the off road tune and pipe.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

PeteH

Not had any problems with mine....except a slight coolant leak from the head gasket when it got realy cold. Just check what you can see...ie - brake pads and calipers; chain and sprockets; head bearings(best if stand fitted)oil and coolant.
Service history is nice... but recent reciepts are better.
Go for a run on it..even if you have to sit on the pillion, let it cool then start it again.
The 885i motor is some what agricultural when started but soooo sweet on the move, get a Yellow one if can :thumbsup
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour