News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

no more lights on my 06 Girly! please help

Started by tigergotcha, September 20, 2012, 05:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigergotcha

Hi from italy!

Yesterday while turning the bike on, once the engine started running, the lights remained off.
On my bike I have low beam lights always on, so normal sequence is: switching the key on lights are on, while pressing engine start button they temporarely switch off, then (as the engine runs), back on.

All the headlights are now off (high-low-parking) and also instruments-light and tail light.

No problems with indicators and brake lights.

I double checked all lights related fuses in the fuses box (1-8-9-10) - the're ok, the four in a column relays under the cockpit - they seem fine, and all connections.

Where else could the problem be? What do I have to check exactly?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Angelo

Mustang

bad key switch (girlies are known for the solder joints internally coming undone ) get a voltmeter and start checking , you'll also need the wiring diagram

broken wires in the harness where it goes into key switch ..........start wiggling the harness at that location and see if the lights come back on .

those are the two main culprits  to start with

Fe Man

What Mustang said.
Re-soldered mine, filled switch with E6000, reassembled.

tigergotcha

Thanks a lot Mustang - I'll check it asap, then report results.

Robbie

Hi Gotcha

there is a group of relays LH side of cockpit give the big one a shake

you should be able to feel it click when the starter is pressed.

this is the relay that cuts the lights just may need to be reseated
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

tigergotcha

hi Robbie.
Thanks for the advice - the problem is the key switch (Mustang and FeMan were 100% right).
Wiggling the harness near the switch the lights came on.
I am going to resolder wire inside the switch.

Next challenge level: removing the two anti-theft bolts...

I'd like to use a tool like this (if I find one easily) instead of going the brutal way

In the meantime, I'm wondering about adding an external manual switch (connected directly to main harness connector to key switch harness connector), bypassing the key switch contact.

What color are the light related wires to be connected to the external manual switch in order to bypass the key switch?
Cannot find the electrical diagram of my model yet (still searching).

Thanks again for your help!
Angelo   

cbxtc6

browN(main fuse), blUe/Yellow(headlight relay & switch), Red/Orange(position & taillight), Red/blUe(dash & light switch).

I'll see if I can scan the wiring diagram for you.  It already exists somewhere in cyberspace.

cbxtc6

tigergotcha

thanks a lot cbxtc6 - I can proceed with my tests now!

gilly527

Hey, I had this problem last year, if you pop the cap off the back of your ignition switch you'll probably see the problem immediately...

I soldered mine up again and tied the wires up differently when I put the ignition switch back in the bike so it wouldn't put any stresses on the wire bundle going in to the back of the switch.
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i.

tigergotcha

Quote from: gilly527 on September 22, 2012, 01:10:52 AM
Hey, I had this problem last year, if you pop the cap off the back of your ignition switch you'll probably see the problem immediately...

I soldered mine up again and tied the wires up differently when I put the ignition switch back in the bike so it wouldn't put any stresses on the wire bundle going in to the back of the switch.

hi Gilly
sure I'll put some additional fasteners to tie the wires bundle steadier near the switch - how did you take the two annoying bolts out? 

Quote from: cbxtc6 on September 21, 2012, 05:41:30 PM
browN(main fuse), blUe/Yellow(headlight relay & switch), Red/Orange(position & taillight), Red/blUe(dash & light switch).

I'm assembling a temporary external switch (it seems to work well), at least i can drive safer while waiting to fix the key switch  :thumbsup

gilly527

I modified an allen key for the job. I don't remember the size but mine were not near a tight as they should have been. It too a while and was difficult though. You could also try a long extension on a ratchet and stick a universal joint at the end with a hex bit, I don't know if there would be enough space under there to come in from below though. If I find the allen key I used I'll post a pic.
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i.

Bixxer Bob

Left hand bits like this are worth the money as you don't have to drill a pilot hole / risk snapping the very hard extractor.  Just drill into the bolt at slow speed with these and it'll make a hole until the torque required to cut metal overcomes the grip the seized bolt has on its hole.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

tigergotcha

Solved!

it was the brown wire, its solder joint was completely undone inside the switch.

I finally decide to remove the upper yoke itself, key switch attached. After the resoldering job I filled the switch with glue (Fe Man style) then reassempled the bike together. All is working now.
Thanks to you all for your advices.

A picture of the switch before the re-soldering:

metalguru

Used to have to get these shear bolts out all the time when I was in the trade and the best and easy way is to use a long centre punch like the long Snap-on tools type sharpened to a bright point.

On the outer edge of the flanged screw head, tap lightly at a slight angle towards the direction of rotation and the screws normally release, if the flange is hit hard it wont move.

There just told the world how to steal anything ooopppsss.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.