News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Idle, IACV Problem

Started by GasDepot, September 26, 2012, 06:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GasDepot

2000, 885i w/60k miles. Started to have a problem idling when bike was hot. Starting and idling when cold no problem.

I decided to check the vacuum hoses all good. My manual gave a resistance of 58 ohms between pins E1-F1 also E2-F2 on the black connector of the onboard control box. Any other was to test the IACV (idle air control valve), a friend said he has used a 9V battery to step out the plunger from a car IACV, I tried to user a 12V battery with no results. Has anyone been able to test a IACV without using some computer program?

Put the bike back together and now it wont start.
I think/hope that when I put it back together the IACV plunger should be out not in as I assembled it. Anyone know if the plunger should be out or in when cold?

Looks like I am getting a new IACV if you have one floating around or know of a good source please let me know.

Thanks,
James
2000 Tiger
1998 KLR
A cheep bastard with a large tank

Bixxer Bob

The IACV needs a digital signal from the ECU to tell it the number of "steps" to move so a straight DC voltage won't do it. You need to bite the bullet and get TuneECU up and running then you can test it properly.

IIRR it should be all the way up, ie ports closed, so that the ECU opens it the correct number of steps when you power on.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

12v DC to the IACV will cook it a treat.
Don't forget the inlet manifold gasket and some replacement screws to hold the inlet manifold on.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.