News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel starvation?

Started by 97tiger885, September 28, 2012, 06:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

The 885 is having problems.  It starts but chokes/dies around 5000rpm when upright.  It seems ok on the sidestand.  It runs up to 7000.  It idles fine.  It starts to die immediately under load. I just had the valves done by the new local dealer.  It has been sitting for a few weeks on the centerstand with the tap open. 

I put the tank on after the valve job.  The fuel line between the fuel filter and tap was replaced with line from the local auto parts store.  I am thinking fuel starvation due to poor line routing.  Any ideas?

Mustang

could be bad fuel line routing ...............but I'm thinkin more of plugged up pilot circuits in the carbs from the few weeks sitting you mentioned .

SEA FOAM , AUTOZONE.............10 bucks a can , it works .

97tiger885

Ok, Seafoam it is.  Thanks

rf9rider

I`m reading it as you have a fuel filter fitted?

Is it the right way round, as some only flow one way?

ned37

i used to have starvation on my old steamer.  it was definitely hose routing, trying to put a filter in line there was a high spot that formed an air bubble and wouldn't flow at times.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

97tiger885

Quote from: Mustang on September 28, 2012, 07:11:33 PM
could be bad fuel line routing ...............but I'm thinkin more of plugged up pilot circuits in the carbs from the few weeks sitting you mentioned .

SEA FOAM , AUTOZONE.............10 bucks a can , it works .

Sea Foam is my friend.  MC is much improved.  Happy I didnt have to pull the tank.  Thanks for the help.

97tiger885

[/quote]

Sea Foam is my friend.  MC is much improved.  Happy I didnt have to pull the tank.  Thanks for the help.
[/quote]

Here is an update after 175 miles and 4 days.  The mc starts and idles.  If it has been setting overnight, the pilot circuits (?) get clogged again.  It takes a few minutes fot the circuits to clear.  The plan is to dump another can of Sea Foam in at the next fill-up.

Mustang

you sound like you might have water in the tank , or there is crud in the float bowls ..........

97tiger885

Quote from: Mustang on October 06, 2012, 12:56:17 AM
you sound like you might have water in the tank , or there is crud in the float bowls ..........

I am pretending not to have seen this message.  Dumping in Sea Foam is so much easier than draining the tank or the carbs.

Anyway...at 185 miles I put in 5.7 gallons of ethanol-free gas and 1/2 can of Sea Foam.  I have put 90 miles on that tank.  The problem has gone away.  I have ridden the 885 everyday, although only for short distances.  That seems key to my mc.  Ride it everyday and it is fine.  Let it set for a few weeks and bad things happen.

BTW, the gas mileage on that tank was a sparkling 32.4 mpg.