News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New to me Steamer. ..???s

Started by JHB, October 09, 2012, 02:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHB

Hi just picked up a  1996 tiger  :eusa_clap . I think it's been lowered and was wondering how long are the stock dog bones? And are the forks even at the top of the trees when stock?   Thanks Jim

rf9rider

Welcome, good choice of bike.
Forks are  flush with top yoke, and the usual way of lowering these is to rotate the rear eccentric adjuster, have a look to see where the rear axle is sitting, should be towards the top if its been lowered.

JHB

Thanks for the reply. Axle is still on bottom. the forks are lowered 1 1/2 inches and the bike is still nose high a little .  Jim

Mustang

that could be one of two things

1. the shock is shot (more than likely this is it )
the shock probably has no pressure in the external cannister on side of engine

2. The dogbones have been replaced with aftermarket

3. or the shock has been changed with an incorrect spec one (doubtful)

stock 96 tiger dogbones are approximately 7.625 inch  center of hole to center of hole

JHB

Bingo.... Not much pressure.

Do you know what the pressure should be at the canister?   I have the ability to recharge it. May last a while.
Does any one rebuild these?  Thanks Jim

Mustang

inside the cannister it is just a rubber bladder , works like air shocks do

put in at least 125 psi

nitrogen is preferred but ................
compressed air works too

97tiger885

Quote from: JHB on October 10, 2012, 02:39:53 AM

Does any one rebuild these?  Thanks Jim

Shocks by Sasquatch.  He has done quite a few for folks here -including me - with good results.

Mustang

Highly doubtful you will get an answer from him ...............

Lets just say it could be 10 years or so ........................

JHB

Thanks for the help. I see there's a how to post to rebuild your own. Any idea were a guy can get parts ? Thanks Jim

Mustang

Its a Kayaba shock on a 96 so start by finding a good dirt bike suspension shop and see if they can rebuild it .

but an alternative would be a Hagon or works shock .

ned37

there are companies that make a replacement seal head for about $30.  the steamer kayaba takes a 44/16.
only thing to be careful about is filing the end of the shaft where they peened it over above the retaining nut.  i used medium shock oil on mine and it's just right.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e