News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear wheel bearings

Started by 97tiger885, October 14, 2012, 12:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

I need a new rear tire.  I figured this would be a good time to replace the wheel bearings.  I plan on having the shop do the tires and the bearings.  Here is my question:  Do I need 2 sets of bearings and 1 seal or do I need 3 sets and 2 seals.  Now I have bearings 3800017-T0301 and 3800016-T0301 and seal 3600021-T0301.  Do I also need 3800018-T0301 (bearing) and 3600022-T0301 (seal)?   These last two are numbers 9 and 10 on the rear wheel schematic.  I don't want to pull the wheel until I have all the parts I need.  Thanks.

rf9rider

Parts 9 and 10 are the sprocket carrier bearing and seal, i always change them when changing the wheel bearings.

Mustang

correct do them all .............

but do they need doing or are you replacing just because ?

97tiger885

Quote from: Mustang on October 14, 2012, 03:08:49 AM
correct do them all .............

but do they need doing or are you replacing just because ?

Just because...mileage is in the mid 80s.  I would rather do it a littlle early when convenient than wait for a problem at a bad time. Think I should wait until symptoms arise or have I gotten my money's worth?

Mustang

"if it aint broke don't screw with it " ,is a pretty good motto to go by ....................
theoretically wheel bearings are sealed and should last for a long long time .

It's easy to tell when they are gone , and it only takes an afternoon to replace em , if you have the parts on hand . the bearings are so common any bearing supplier will have them for a lot less money than Triumph .
even McMaster Carr will blow away triumphs price .

These are the actual bearing part #'s you need if you go to a bearing house or Mc Master:

Front Wheel Bearings ,qty (2):  6303 DU
Rear Wheel Bearings:  6204 DU , 6304 DU (one of each)
Sprocket Carrier Bearing (1):  6305 DU