News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Strange noise when engine stops - advice for buying bike

Started by Solon, October 14, 2012, 08:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solon

Thanks. I noticed too that it doesn't make that sound always, and I also noticed that my car makes sometimes the same sound, so I no longer worry about it.
But I did something stupid in the meantime: eager to ride it , i took it for a few miles ride, hoping the additive I put in the gas will clean the carbs. As the engine tended to die out when accelerated,I left the choke on, and with it, engine didn't die out, it just a had a delay when accelerated. Four miles later, it started shaking, engine seemed to misfire and some white smoke was coming out in small shots from one of the exhausts. I stopped the engine, but could no longer start it, it just didn't make a sound when I pushed the starter. As the battery was very weak, I first thought it was the battery so I fed it electricity from tha car's battery, but still no sound. One hour later I was getting chills from the thought of pushing it for 4 miles. It cooled and when I pushed the starter, it started immediately. I figured something was not running fine beacuse it was hot, I rode it back home, and when I arrived, the same happened: shaking while riding, misfiring, than -  silence. I could no longer start it, not even when it cooled down, when pushing the started, nothing happened.
I figured out I might have screwed up a coil, because the plugs get burned  when running with the choke on, giving too much gas. When plugs get dirty, coils need to work harder to get the spark, they overheat, and eventually get burned. That would explain why the first time it stopped, it needed time to cool in order to startt again, and probably, the second time it stopped, the coil went out for good. But I'm far from being sure, and I-ll have to wait for spring to put my un-wise hands in that motor. Opinions?

Sin_Tiger

Sounds like you figured it out yourself, hope you get a set of coils in your Christmas presents  :new_xmas
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

FoothillRyder

What additive did you put in the tank, and how much? Most of the 'pour-in-the-tank' carb cleaners will produce white smoke if the 'mixture' is too heavy on the additive.
- FoothillRyder

'97 Trophy 3, '98 Tiger, '96 Sprint
AMA 289558, COP# 0001, BIR# 47
www.foothillryder.com

rybes

sounds like it could be the ignition pick up. they normally behave like that when their dyin
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Bixxer Bob

I'm with Rybes on this one.  Starts when cold, stops when hot - classic crank sensor symptom.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Solon

Yes, but now it no longer starts even when cold. Hmmmm, I'm angry I have to wait for spring to start working on it.
Where is this sensor located? How can it be checked?

rybes

its under the small cover on the right hand side of the engine. no idea how youd check it, id guess some kind of resistance meter
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

I think you are barking up the wrong tree ......................

check your gas tank for water in it and a plugged corroded fuel tap ''''''''

do this 1ST then clean the carbs , pilot circuit especially .

then let us know how you are doing .................seriously

Solon

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 20, 2012, 02:48:34 AM
Sounds like you figured it out yourself, hope you get a set of coils in your Christmas presents  :new_xmas
Thanks, but I don't want to write to Santa before I'm sure.
Quote from: FoothillRyder on December 20, 2012, 06:08:24 AM
What additive did you put in the tank, and how much? Most of the 'pour-in-the-tank' carb cleaners will produce white smoke if the 'mixture' is too heavy on the additive.
The white smoke was coming out of only one exhaust, alltogether with misfiring, so it can't be the additive.
Quote from: Mustang on December 20, 2012, 11:23:07 PM

How can the described problem be connected to the corroded fuel tap? Anyway, I 'll look into it, and carbs, spark plugs, then I''l start checking the ignition. It is not impossible  that during the time the bike stood in a garage, water condensed in the tank, it might also be dirty due to old fuel.
then let us know how you are doing .................seriously
O course I will.
First I have to find a warm place to place it, as I have no garage. I can't wait for the spring. My mother lives on the ground  floor in a block, I'm thinking  :sign13 of placing the bike in one of the empty rooms, this way I would be there every day, like a good son :qgaraduate visiting his bike/mother.

John Stenhouse

Quote from: Solon on December 21, 2012, 06:30:19 AM
Quote from: FoothillRyder on December 20, 2012, 06:08:24 AM
The white smoke was coming out of only one exhaust, alltogether with misfiring, so it can't be the additive.

How can the described problem be connected to the corroded fuel tap? Anyway, I 'll look into it, and carbs, spark plugs, then I''l start checking the ignition. It is not impossible  that during the time the bike stood in a garage, water condensed in the tank, it might also be dirty due to old fuel.

Oh it can be, most common fault on steamers
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Mustang

you have the symptoms of water in the fuel and a clogged petcock .start with fuel first .
unhook the fuel line at petcock
attach a hose for drain to the petcock
turn on the tap and drain tank completely into container
check for water

if water found in fuel
the drain line at the right rear of tank is corroded plugged which will let rainwater that is supposed to drain from around the cap find it's way into the tank.
run a pc of wire coat hanger up the hole and it should un block it for you

now remove the fuel tap and take it apart
it will be obvious if it is blocked .
clear it and reassemble

now remove the tank and pull the carbs
(now you get your steamer initiation)

theres a thread in the sticky thread that will guide you thru cleaning the carbs THOROUGHLY !

clean/ replace air filter while you have the carbs out (it's the only way you can do it )

put the bike back together and try it . you may be pleasantly surprised .

If it still is acting up be certain that you thoroughly cleaned the carbs ............then we will move onto electrical.

seriously the fuel system is the #1 problem to look at first
if you don't you can and will end up chasing your tail .

Solon

Thanks, man. You explain better than the Haynes manual  :eusa_clap - not kiddin'!
As soon as I manage to place the bike in a warm and cozy place, I'll start with what you told me and update this topic.

PompeyLad

I have a PDF of the Triumph manual that I am more than willing to email/Skype/whatever if needed. :XXcomputer

Solon

Thanks, I only have what I downloaded from the link I posted in the previous page - the original Triumph manual for triples which covers steamers too, but I might be interested 'cause there is also the Haynes and other versions which might bring something new. So if it's anything else than what I've already got, I'd be much obliged to you  :notworthy if you sent it to me. I'll give you a PM with my email,

Timbox2

Quote from: Solon on November 28, 2012, 09:41:32 PM
I've just found a link with something interesting:
http://www.bikersoracle.com/triumphsprint/forum/showthread.php?t=5884

Thats a very handy link, as it has manuals for the Girlies and Roadies too, brilliant find :thumbsup
2016 Tiger Sport