News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rim Rot

Started by 97tiger885, October 18, 2012, 02:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

My rim has developed leprosy around the valve opening.  Mechanic is going to file down to remove sharp edges.  The rim tape will cover the rot and protect the tube.  Anyone have experience with this?  Can I live with it, is my rim's life near its end or do I need to replace the rim?

If the rim is done, I want to replace the whole wheel and go tubeless.  Any suggestions for that?

Mustang

rear wheel is easy , just get a trophy or a speed triple , daytona or sprint wheel from the early carb'd bikes and it will bolt right on , same spacers , same drive hub , exact match .
the front not so easy .

be forewarned the early 3 spoke mags are made by brembo and they are soft . they bend easy .
potholes , etc .

if you go this route , you will be able to run big ass rear tires , 170's and up

as far as your spoke wheel corrosion goes ..as long as it's not affecting the spokes (which it doesn't appear to) you will be fine with that rim .

rybes

put three spokes on it. so much better than the spoked wheels for so many reasons. well at least in my opinion anyway  :hat10
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

97tiger885

Quote from: Mustang on October 18, 2012, 02:24:07 AMg

as far as your spoke wheel corrosion goes ..as long as it's not affecting the spokes (which it doesn't appear to) you will be fine with that rim .

Good to know. 

Quote from: rybes on October 18, 2012, 11:17:46 AM
put three spokes on it. so much better than the spoked wheels for so many reasons. well at least in my opinion anyway  :hat10

I plan on using stock wheels for now, but will start looking for a 3 spoke rear as a future replacement.

Thanks for the input.

NeilD

Or if you come across a set of wheels from a 'Girly' they are a straight swap.. the later Behr rims dont suffer from rot like the originals do