News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Push start button and nothing??

Started by Joe Bates, November 05, 2012, 01:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Bates

OK.  Relax.  Hears the Deal:

Ran great, loaded in a trailer, took it out of trailer, pushed start and nuthin??

I think I pulled a wire when strapping it down or unstrapping, but not sure the way they were to begin with??

I know, Tiger shouldnt be trailered.  Tiger doesnt like to be strapped down.  I get that.  It was snowing and I had to go 1280 miles.

Noticed some wires coming from each grip and would like to know what does what:
1) The wire that goes under the throttle grip rubber and is sautered to a circuit board under the rubber is??

I am not original owner and there were some shitty blue wire connectors connecting the two little wires that come from each grip area.
One was definitely pulled apart.  Another looked like a real clean cut so not sure if it was already disconnected??  It is one of the two that goes to throttle side.

What are they for, how do I fix and where do they go??

Link with pics??  Have the  service manual and cant find anything helpfull in it??

Anybody??

Thanx.  Joe Bates
Thanks For Your Time

Mustang

those sound like heated grip wires which will have nothing to do with it.

Is the kill switch on ? that will make it do absolutely nothing when starter button is pressed

Joe Bates

Ahhh.  Yes.  Heated grips.  I didnt think of that becaus they didnt work when I picked up the bike and havent gotten around to fixing.

Well now I have No Idea??

The writing is rubbed off the kill switch and I have tried it in both positions.  Is it up or down to start??
Thanks For Your Time

ned37

also look at the three wire connecter that is under the clutch lever.  it is the wiring to the start interlock.  if its loose, it won't start.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

Mustang

the kill switch is in run position when the bottom of rocker switch is in .
try pulling the clutch in when the kill switch is in run you should hear the starter spin
If the safety circuit relay is buggered it's the only way it will bypass it ,  by pulling the clutch in

rf9rider

If you think you pulled a wire, might be worth checking the fuses under the seat, you might have blown the main fuse if you`ve earthed a wire.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: rf9rider on November 05, 2012, 09:57:58 PM
If you think you pulled a wire, might be worth checking the fuses under the seat, you might have blown the main fuse if you`ve earthed a wire.

And how do you know this?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Joe Bates

Fuses fine.

Wires under clutch look cool and plugged in.

Cant find any loose wires where I had the tie down straps running.

I think it is just coincidence??

When I turn on key, I get dash lights, but no turn signals, horn, hazard or headlight.  Do those only kick on after it is running??

I bought this bike in San Diego this May and rode it to Ohio, not one issue, but I am not real familar with it for trouble shooting.

Ill try anything you got for me??

PS- The Triumph Shop Manual is SHIT.
Thanks For Your Time

Mustang

not normal you should have everything with key on .

sounds to me like the key switch has gone south or the wire harness is fucked where it goes into key switch
It's a common triumph problem

try jerking the harness around and see if the dashboard comes alive

Joe Bates

I get dash lights.

"When I turn on key, I get dash lights, but no turn signals, horn, hazard or headlight.  Do those only kick on after it is running??"

Thanks For Your Time

John Stenhouse

No they should all work with the key on. Go with Mustang he KNOWS steamers, check the key barrel, pull the wires around if it all comes back you know where the problem is.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Joe Bates

Thanks.  Ill check again.

Would the side stand switch failure cause me to get NO headlights, turn signals, horn or hazards when key is on??
Thanks For Your Time

Mustang

Quote from: Joe Bates on November 06, 2012, 08:04:59 PM
Thanks.  Ill check again.

Would the side stand switch failure cause me to get NO headlights, turn signals, horn or hazards when key is on??
Only possibility would be if there was a dead short on something
on a 95 the headlights stay on even when spinning the starter , on a 98 the headlights switch off by the starter relay only when cranking the starter
the sidestand switch will prevent it from starting but not from spinning with the start button
the clutch switch will prevent it from spinning the starter and the kill switch acts the same as the clutch switch .

KEY ON EVERYTHING ELECTRICAL SHOULD BE ON .......HEAD LIGHTS , DASH  LIGHTS , HORN , BLINKERS ,TAIL LIGHT ALL SHOULD BE ON WITH KEY ON

IN LOOKING AT THE WIRING SCHEMATIC THE ONLY THING COMMON TO YOUR FAULT IS THE (insert drum roll here ) THE KEY SWITCH.............................

sounds like you have a manual so get the wiring diagram out and get a voltage meter and start probing wires that come out of the key switch for voltage ..........odds are you are going to have a bad key switch where the solder contacts have fallen apart internally , or some broken wires inside the insulation where they go to or from the key switch .

IT"S A VERY COMMON ISSUE ON THE TIGERS

rf9rider

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on November 06, 2012, 03:21:49 AM
Quote from: rf9rider on November 05, 2012, 09:57:58 PM

And how do you know this?

By past experiences  :thumbsup

Joe Bates

Thanx Mustang.  Ill check it out and get back to you.

Any hints, links, pics or things to look out for when doing the ignition??
Thanks For Your Time