News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Push start button and nothing??

Started by Joe Bates, November 05, 2012, 01:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Bates

Shook and tested the wires around the key switch.  Looked at all the wires.  Non broke.  Non rotted. Non disconnected.  Dont know what ones are supposed to do what??

It was a Cali bike, a dry climate bike, its whole life and is very clean.  All the wires going into the bottom of ignition are wound up tight and havent moved a millimeter.  They are covered in a rubber sleeve and are no where near where my tie down straps ran.

Im stuck here with my ability.  If its a bad key switch, how would I know??  I cant even get one.  Can they be repaired??

The closest Triumph Shop, that works on anything older then year 2000, is 8hrs away.

Anybody know anybody with a computer to do diagnostic (I found that plug/wire) or ability to read a wire diagram in the South East Florida area??  Or riding thru??  Free room, board, steak, beers, hammock, ect.
Im a bit handicapped when it comes down to it.  It took me 20min to write this post.  Thanks
Thanks For Your Time

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

rf9rider

Do the dash lights dim when you press the starter?

rybes

noticed somthin similarish on mine a few days ago. when i turned on the lights, the dash lights came on like hids would. goin to take a look at it next week, ill let ya know if i find anythin.
with an offer that youve just put out its temptin to buy a plane ticket  :hat10
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rybes

just to let you know mine done this to me this afternoon. lights are always on on mine and it wouldnt turn over n start till i turned the lights off then all was ok. turned thelights back on and it still worked so try fiddlin with ya light switch. not sure how that affects the starter circuit but for some reason it seemed too.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

USA models don't have a light switch ...............

rf9rider

97tiger885

Quote from: Joe Bates on November 05, 2012, 01:52:01 AM
OK.  Relax.  Hears the Deal:

I know, Tiger shouldnt be trailered.  Tiger doesnt like to be strapped down.

I strap mine in the back of my F150 with six straps, two ratcheting with two hooks and four double-loop.  The double-loop look as above.

For those who haven't used these, you wrap them around the tubes as follows:

I wrap two of these around the fork tubes between the yokes:

You need to be careful not to pinch or pull any wires attached to the tubes.

This is bad.

I use the cut-outs on either side of the front fairing to access the tubes.  This may not work with a trailer if the trailer mounting points are on the trailer floor and close to the sides of the mc.  On the F150, the posts supporting the rack are used which means the straps are more horizontal than vertical.

This is good.

Joe Bates

Its a 1996.

Nothing happens when I push the start button.  No lights dimming.  Only lights I get are dash, tail/running and brake.  No horn, turn, head light, hazards, ect.

I have poked and prodded every wire under the fairing.

I have messed with the buttons too.  No signs of diagnoses.

Still taking ideas. Thanx.
Thanks For Your Time

windscreenman1

I had  a similar problem a couple of weeks ago  :sign13  :XXsunsmileI pulled the clutch in and it started to turn over stab in the dark but it worked for me
Cheers
Mark

Joe Bates

Thanks to all.  Found the wire/wires, actually a plug.  It had one end hiding in a rubber boot cover and I thought the other end was for computer diagnoses or some sort of test.  Im stoked.  Need to rewire grip warmers since I am now so familar with them.  :XXsunsmile

Next time I strap it down, I will try the above loops.

:wave

Thanks For Your Time

Steamer95

OK, same thing on my 95.  The ignition switch wouldn't  make the kill switch hot. All other functions of switch worked. With a little creative wiring the bike will turn over now but Without the Key!  It will not fire the coils so all is Good!  Haven't ridden the bike since the electrical repair so still working out the bugs but don't think the safety BS will be an issue as those are all on the other side of the start relay coil. As a side note I'd like to compliment Harley Davidson for not putting  "Any" safety interlocks on their Bikes! At least that's what my Bro told me. If you want to ride down the road with the side stand down who are we to stop you. :new_xmas