News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Service Grumbles !!!

Started by pauljones1227, February 09, 2005, 05:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljones1227

I recently took my Tiger for its first 6000 mile service.

My first question is should I have had a new tune added ??

There is nothing on my invoice about any new tune and the engine feels exactly the same as before, I wish I had asked because there are so many comments on this forum about new tunes.

I'm just feeling a bit dissatisfied at being charged £250 for basically an oil change, filter, clutch adjustment and some tyre pumping.

I asked for my coolant leak to be sorted out...reply...couldn't find anything, I asked for my clonking front forks to be looked at.....reply...didn't know why it's doing it and will have to live with it. And my chain has been adjusted so tight that my gears are howling at speed at the bearing strain.

I was warned by a friend when I was buying a Triumph that "your bike will have niggles and the main dealers will fob you off !!!!!!" I think he was right !!

BP_LONDON

I'd say Give Carl Rosner in Croydon a call, they'll sort you out...

knarf

Yip second that,

Find another dealer, and write to Triumph and the old dealer explaining why your unhappy, they won't know how to fix it unless their told.
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

robbo

You been robed dude,

I just checked my paperwork and found I was charged £97.86 for the 6000 service but no I didnÌt get a new tune added. I didnÌt expect a tune as my dealer is just my local bike shop he is not a Triumph dealer.

Check and adjust

Cooling system

Suspension

Brakes

Clutch

Charging system

Fluids and lights

I was charged for

4.4L oil

oil filter

labour
best Regards

Robbo

Brock

Blimey that's expensive... if it's a Triumph dealer they should be working to manufacturers guidelines. £100-£130 is about right for the 6,000 service.

A dealer will only down load the "latest tune" if there's one been brought out that supercedes the one already loaded onto your bike. If your bike's an '05 there may not be one any newer than that already loaded.

I'd be inclined to take your business elsewhere the next time, but tell them what you think first! Bastards.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Chris Canning

While it seems dear,there has to be some allowance for London prices which can put serious money on the bill.

The chain thing blimey war and piece has been written on here about the subject,do it your self it's takes longer to get the allens keys out then it does to actually do,I jest not!!!

As for the tune??? funny thing that, i've found some dealers are far more clued up than others,I put a post up some time ago,when i went to a dealer close to were i live, never used him before when i mentioned about what number the latest tune was the blood drained out of his face!!

Very often they'll only put one in if you aske for the latest one,assumeing they even know what there doing,cuts down on the hassle factor,have alook at BP's postings.

I had a 12000 mile service last year(15000) on the clock cost the best part of 300 quid for shimming etc and when i got it home had to strip the whole thing down tank off,air box to do something that they had bothered doing!!!! I'm not putting their name up were all human!!.

As for takeing a Triumph to a non T dealer no friggin way their finicky enough as it thank you very much.

Chris

tigerjohn

Basically, Paul, you've been ripped off. No Triumph dealer should have charged you anything like £250 for a 6000mile service. Get your own back, mate - name and shame - at least no-one on this site will use them again. I had my 6000mile main dealer service just before Christmas - it cost about £120. I agree with the earlier comment - write to Triumph, cos it ain't on!  (The 12 000 mile service does cost , but involves a fair bit of work).

pauljones1227

Bear in mind I had front brake pads which added £60 odd quid to the bill. Which was another thing I forgot to mention in my first post because they are as spongy as hell now, give the lever a hard tug and it's not far from touching the handlebar !!!

So i adjusted my chain properly this morning so my gearbox bearing can now sleep at night and I will pencil in the weekend to bleed the front brakes properly.

It's not so much the cost that annoys me, its the problems I had that weren't addressed, in particular the clonking noise from my front forks which when going over a big bump now sounds like someone is hitting the front of the bike with a hammer. An idiot even knows thats not right.

I'm not going to name and shame the dealer ( I got a fantastic deal on the bike ) but in reply to Chris's response, it wasn't a London dealer.

BP_LONDON

I had the clonking noise on a previous bike and the dealer, in an attempt to remedy the situation, over tightened the head bearings. This is not something you want to happen as it can be very dangerous. I think you should definitely have it checked out and sorted...my bike makes no sound at all when i go over speedbumps etc, as it should'nt.

Chris Canning

Hi Paul

As far as bleeding the brakes are concerned don't bother!! put an elastic band over the lever and handlebar and leave it over night.

And if it wasn't a London dealer,then you've been had!!.

Chris

pauljones1227

I've gone and done the elastic band trick but i've never heard this before, how does it work and get rid of the air ??

knarf

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Hi Paul

As far as bleeding the brakes are concerned don't bother!! put an elastic band over the lever and handlebar and leave it over night.

And if it wasn't a London dealer,then you've been had!!.

Chris

Surely you can't be serious !!!  

New brake fulid is must every year to get the brakes to get back to that nice grippy feeling. The elastic band trick will only squeeze out some of the air that gets absorbed in your fluid, it'll not shift the water that also get in there as well.
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

Chris Canning

Hi Paul

You've never heard of it?? you'd be amazed how many haven't,just an old Indian trick!! let me know how you get on.

In fact when I fitted my Beringers last year couldn't get e'm even remotely right, pumped e'm up, elastic band on bingo!!!.

Chris

pauljones1227

And I thought that rubber bands were for firing around the office...

Yes it did work, front brakes completely back to normal this morning, thanks Chris....got any more tips ??

Chris Canning

Hi Paul

Glad it worked.

Chris