News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

this is gettin silly now !

Started by rybes, November 08, 2012, 04:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

so, im on my 3rd set of head bearins and guess what ? yup, i cant get no more adjustment on em and they still knock WTF is goin on with em ?
ive tried 2 differnt yoke sets, 2 different topnuts (one is about 3mm thicker) 3 sets of bearins, measured the part of the steerin stem the bearin sits on and their about 24.95mm and i still cant get the bearins to stop knockin. i cant see .05 of a mm causin the problems ive got ?
im all now out of ideas  :doubt

mustang, you got a holiday in the uk planned anytime soon ?
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

frame buggered ? that would be the only thing I can think of at this point .

rybes

phoned triumph up today and they said the same thing mustang. they asked if its been in an accident but it hasnt. im startin to wonder if the powder coatin oven has done some damage. do you know if theres a way of puttin in a roller bearing in instead of the tapered one i have now as i have a roller bearin that come with the last kit i bought.

Mustang

if it's the roller bearing with the snap ring ....on 98 frames it just goes in the frame in place of the taper bearing top cup . Not sure if it will work the same on frames that use a top taper bearing , but I think it might . The snap ring keeps it from falling into the steering neck

this is the only pic I have of it but the bearing takes the place of the top cup and sits in the frame neck up against the snap ring

rybes

cheers mustang, ill try it saturday and see if it works. in the top of the head stock after ive taken both parts of the bearing out theres still thin pressed steel cup i n there.

Mustang

yep that cup has to come out
the roller bearing is all thats needed in the top of the neck

rybes

right, ill give it a go. gunna be fun tryin to ge that out. i tried before i sent it to be powder coated and it wouldnt budge. bet it dont come out in one piece  :ImaPoser

rf9rider

So you didn`t replace the cup with the new bearings you fitted?

If you left it in while getting the frame coated, it may be part of the problem, might have warped or got out of shape when it was baked?

rf9rider

Ignore my last post, just re read your other post about replacing the cup

rybes

its gettin daft RF. gunna try the other bearin i got n hope that works. if it aint that then im gunna have t go back t the drawin board n pull it all apart n start again n see if theres anythin i missed out

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

more than likely bob. probly when i get back from trainin.

Bixxer Bob

Might pop over if I get time. Got walls to paint first tho so don't wait for me.=
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

ok mate cheers  :thumbsup be appreciated if ya make it. not got no more spare hand wipes tho lol

Bixxer Bob

Looks like Rybes and I had a good day. He'll be along with the full tale and pics presently.  Suffice to say the roller bearing is a proper b°°°h to fit.  We measured the frame neck and the bearing to be sure that it would fit theoretically.  In practice however it was way harder than wheel bearings (car OR bike).