News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

OIL VISCOSITY QUESTION.

Started by Frank.B, February 09, 2005, 08:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank.B

My local Triumph dealer no longer stocks Mobil 1. Instead he has on offer Shell advance 10w40 fully synthetic oil at £36.00 for 4ltrs, which he assures me is perfick' for the 955i tigger.

However I have been offered some Shell Helix Ultra 0w40 fully synthetic oil at a very reasonable price. It is avery high spec oil developed for F1 racing cars i'm told, But do any of you know if  this 0w40 viscosity would be ok to use in the Tigger?...

Frank.B
\"greetings to you....friends of peace\"

Brock

I'd stick to the 10w40 Shell fully synthetic.

There's obviously a reason why 0w40 is used in a F1 Racing car and I'm sure the techies will tell you why, but the Tiger is a bike. It needs the right oil.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

All I'll say is :- apparently you have to be careful with oil specs because of the wet clutch on most bikes. What you should get is "JASO MA" in the specs which says it is OK with wet clutches. Otherwise I see no reason why 0W-40 wouldn't be OK.

Badger

I think that it states in the service manual about not using oils with a viscosity below 10.
Growing Old Disgracefully

ArizonaKid

Ahhhhhhh, another oil question. . .  OIL IS CHEAP!  Use what's called for. There's a world of difference between F1 racing engines (ultra close tollerances, fuel used, etc, etc) and mass produced auto and/or motorcycle engines.  Apples and oranges kind of thing.  Don't risk it just to save a few quid. . .  again, OIL IS CHEAP!
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

knarf

Its also to due with operating temperture of the oil.  F1 cars engines operated at a much higher temp and I bet they spin a lot faster than a tiger.
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

Patrick the Scot

Check this site out. And read all of it this article "All About Oil"

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS