News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Not Quite Right...

Started by nd4spd, November 18, 2012, 06:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nd4spd

I'm hoping to get a little guidance on my next steps...  I've got an '06 Girly w/ 27k on the clock that just doesn't want to idle very well...  This all started after performing maintenace on her following a 9700+ mile trip to AK - I adjusted the valves, removed and cleaned the throttle bodies, cleaned the K&N air filter, replaced the plugs and did an oil change.  Now that it's all back together, it labors slightly to start, once started it idles low and then after a minute or so the idle increases to 2k, hangs there for another minute or two.  Once warmed up, the idle drops to 900 - 1k at best, it also surges w/ the occasional back fire popping coming from the airbox.  The exhaust smells rich in my opinion - but I think that has always been the case.  I also noticed more popping from the tailpipe during decel than before (I do have an aftermarket can on it).  I'm not familiar w/ the detailed functionS of the IACV - BUT I'm wondering if this could be the culprit, or maybe an O2 sensor..?  I did do the 12 minute tune, it seems to have helped...  If you got some ideas - I'd appreciate any suggestions...   :thumbsup

Mark

iansoady

A few suggestions. As you will have had the air box off all are worth considering.

1. It's easy to lose the foam gasket between the IACV and the air filter box (sticks to the air box then drops on the garage floor), causing air leaks

2. The pipes from the IACV are brittle and can leak.

3. Sticking IACV (test with tuneboy or (?tuneecu?))

4. Throttle body gaskets are notorious for leaking.

I'm not personally a fan of K&N but doubt whether your problem lies there unless overoiled.

Less likely perhaps - throttle position sensor gone bad?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

nd4spd

Thanks for the suggestions - one other thing I forgot to mention is the bike feels doggy in top gear roll-on when below 4k rpm.  I have to click down a few gears to get a decent acceleration - otherwise it almost feels like it's falling on face the more throttle I apply.  I smooth small increase in throttle will gain speed/rpm, but not if you give a good twist.  Typically this bike has laways been very responsive.  I don't have access, or know where to get this "tuneboy" or "tuneecu".  I'll go check the basics but this sounds like it may end up at the stealer for diagnostics - ugh!

Bixxer Bob

You mentioned removing and cleaning the throttle bodies.  Did you fit a new gasket, a light smear of gasket goo and change the chocolate torx screws for allen screws?  The symptoms point to a significant air leak leading to the ECU overfuelling.  The TB joint is a known weak area on all marques of 955i engine so that's where I'd start looking.  A good trick is to start the engine from cold (leaks can heal themselves with heat) and spray around the gasket with carb cleaner. If the revs smooth out or rise, you have a leak.  Be careful though, carb cleaner is flammable so take the necessary precautions.  If the gasket is ok, check the IACV pipework in the same way,.

Oh, and you did connect everything properly and not crimp anything, like the tube that goes from the rear right corner of the airbox (white elbow) to the ECU while putting the tank back?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nd4spd

I did install new TB gasket - however I did put it together dry and reused the original bolts/screws... Sounds like I need to get back in there and check for leaks.  Thanks for the pointers...!!   :thumbsup

Bixxer Bob

It's worth checking all the pipework before you delve too deep.  One pipe-to-IACV or pipe to TB joint not properly sealed will be enough....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

pineygroveshop

I would recheck valve clearances.
Cheers,
Stephen