News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1997 Tiger...Impulse Buy

Started by TrailR, November 24, 2012, 03:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrailR

I have been enjoying the search feature on this forum and wanted to take time to say thanks!  I recently acquired a '97 Tiger, which was absolutely an impulse buy.  The bike is really clean, but needs a little sorting with the carbs and oil leaks before I get it back on the road.  It has 7,600 miles and is in great shape especially considering the age.  I am expecting that this bike will be a nice companion for my R1150GS.

First question (of many)...does anybody know the o-ring size for the alternator?  I need to order some bits from McMaster-Carr and wanted to add it to the order.

Nick Calne

NICE BIKE!

Someone sensible and technical will be a long shortly with the answer to your question, but you may wanna look in the sticky section.

What is the black thing half way up the fork bottoms?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

TrailR

Thanks Nick, no buyer's remorse on this purchase.

I am not sure what the brackets on the forks are for.  There was one on each fork.  At first I thought it may be for a registration tag, but that would not be required on each fork.  Here is a photo of the bracket.  Any ideas?

deepsouthtiger

Possibly fog lights?
Mine are down low, I ran them off the brake caliper top bolt.
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

deepsouthtiger

Amazing find just 7,600 miles!!!??? Its not even broke in yet.
Love the Steamers and thats what I was originally looking for when I found my '05 Girly.  Hope to one day pick up a steamer as a great stablemate for the Girly. Congratulations on your fine new ride.

FYI bikebandit.com has a great site, you can source many parts there then purchase either from them or elsewhere. You may find the o-ring size you are looking for at bikebandit.

TrailR

Low mileage was one reason it was an impulse buy.  I am not sure where this bike has been, but it certainly has not been abused.  I am still learning more about the triple and this bike.  It has been years since I have had a bike with carbs and a chain, so for me it is back to basics.  The bike also has a Staintune exhaust system, which will make the neighbors think a Hooligan has moved into the neighborhood when I crack the throttle.

deepsouthtiger

Your gonna LOVE the Triple.  I became a convert 10 years ago when I bought a used Triumph Speed Triple. Then a 98 Sprint with (seriously) 190,000 original miles on it (same engine as your Steamer basically) had a bad sprag clutch, replaced the sprag and sold her shortly after to a fellow in Tennessee who still rides her to this day. You should get YEARS out of that bike. And now my current'05 Girly with 30,000 miles on the clock. In 33 years of riding (and 28 different bikes)  I have finally found the motor that speaks to me the best, a Triumph Triple.
:thumbsup

ned37

QuoteI am not sure what the brackets on the forks are for
yellow reflectors
Quotedoes anybody know the o-ring size for the alternator
70 ID, around 2.3 thick used.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

TrailR

Good information on the reflectors.  Looks like the reflector and bracket have parted ways at some point in the bike's history.

Many thanks on the o-ring size!  I will try a 70mm ID x 3 mm cross-section to see how it fits.  It may be a little tight, but I will give it a go.  If all else fails, I will order a Triumph part to get the job done.

Bob Tosi

you're gonna love it! Eat will eat up the GS no Problem.  Pretty dog one dirt worthy too!
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

TrailR

Still waiting for Spring to arrive in Wisconsin...is it time to ride yet?

97tiger885

Quote from: TrailR on November 24, 2012, 04:57:06 PM

It has been years since I have had a bike with carbs and a chain, so for me it is back to basics. 

I run a 97 Tiger and an 85 K100.  The main adjustment is remembering to turn on the petcock.  After 5 years, I still forget until the mc starts dying.  The other main issue is use.  The K can set for months.  It will start and run with little problem. My Tiger does not do so well setting around.  If I run it regularly, it is fine.  If I let it set for a few weeks, it may start and run, but it may take some fiddling, pleading, threats and cursing.  YMMV.