News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The Ageing Face Of Motorcycling

Started by Chris Canning, December 05, 2012, 08:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Great article in todays MCN by Kevin Ash,I'm sure there's someone who can scan if,if not I'll see what I can do,but sadly rather true and not just the age bit.

Bixxer Bob

Damn.  I'll have to go buy one now.

If it's about youngsters not buying bikes, after visiting the NEC show, I fear there's worse to come.  One bloke there selling a city runabout (shopping trolley sized car) that can be driven on a moped licence at 16.  So no need at all to get on two wheels then... :doubt
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

birddogone

Hey Fellas, I've not seen the article, but as a MSF ridercoach I see plenty of folks that can't even ride a bicycle.
Rod
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

"If it doesn't run on fossil fuel or gun powder I'm not interested"

Bixxer Bob

I usd to teach CBTs.  I had one lady kept falling over when letting the clutch out right at the start of the day.  When I explained it's just like setting off on a bicycle she said (and you've guessed it), "I can't ride a bicycle....).  Followed by a short walk to the office and a full refund.  I still can't believe she thought she was going to learn to ride a bike AND do all the things required for a CBT in ONE DAY!!! 

Sorry for the hijack Chris,  back on thread.....

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Just read the article Chris.  Bloody hell,  I could hear your voice as I took it in; did you write it for him?  :hat10

Joking aside, he has a very valid point.  For those who can't read it, the gist is that despite the bike industry finally waking up to the need to bring in young blood - hence the rash of racy, attractive learner-legal bikes now available -  in theUK they are up against a much bigger problem.  That of our nannying, risk-averse approach to parenting nowadays.  Not only are parents risk-averse, the kids themselves are scared s****less of the big wide world outside of their Playstation so don't push / rebel in the first place.  We're all gonna die of apathy....  as if anyone cares :doubt

So it's down to us old guys to keep the flame burning as long as possible.  Ride. And, if you can, take some young wet-behind-the-ears pup along with you  :hat10

Chris Canning

Re the article

When it was saying our generation as kids dragged our parents to a bike show,now it's our generation dragging the kids to a show,dad's sat on a bike,kid's playing a game on their I phone 'When can we go home'

More frightening,had a conversation with a trader today,he reckons the bike trade has 10 years in it's current state,based on when this current older generation is finished(me) that'll be it,and I don't think he's so far from the truth,which is very sad.

Bixxer Bob

Aye, I reckon I've only got 10-12 yrs before I have to downsize to something easier to manage. 

I'm still doing my bit though, I run a club for young motorcyclists attached to the local youth club with a mate, aiming to give them somewhere to hang out and not get hassled.  What we've learned so far though is you can't provide something that's not wanted.  Numbers are low  Nevertheless, we keep plugging away, trying different approaches.  I also help with the Pedsafe presentations in schools as a way of reaching in and encouraging them to give it a try.

Mustang

SIDECAR..............hooks em when their young

one of these helps a lot

my grandkids are hooked  for life  :love10