News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

new addition for me tiger

Started by rybes, December 08, 2012, 11:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

It's not that big a drama as long as Rybes can get to a milling machine with head clearance of about a foot.  Interesting for other Roadie owners though, it has a roller bearing about 20mm long on one side and two 10mm wide ball races the other.  It has a10.mm boss on either side so we figured that its possible to line up on the roller bearing boss, machine it out to the ball bearing size and depth then machine the boss off.  After machining the other boss off the width is right.  What we're not sure about is if one ball race either side will be enough.

It occurs to me this evening that the roller bearing is on the chain side and is probably used because of the load that places on the pivot. We might have to think how we can get a roller in there mate.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

you got a point there bob.  heatin up the swingarm to get the bearin out didnt really work. all it done was crack the lip off that i was knockin against. time for a rethink on how to remove it.
might pop into the local bearin shop durin the week and see if they have any suggestions as to what bearin to use
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rf9rider

Whats the length like compared to original, does it alter the wheelbase much?

Been thinking of something along the same lines, but using a different swing arm.  :sign13

rf9rider

Forgot to ask, do you have the measurement of the width of the  original swingarm at the pivot point?

Much obliged.  :hat10

rybes

length is about right with an a mm or 2 and theres plenty of room for the wheel to fit n and flop about so some spacers will cure that no measurments that i can tell ya as ive fogot em. ive slept since i done that and sleep to me is like a big blackboard rubber lol.
ill go take all the maesurements later on for ya mate  :thumbsup 

Bixxer Bob

The wheel spindle width was was slightly narrower not wider so spacers will need to be machined down, which and how much dependent on chain alignment.  Width at swing arm pivot: 256mm comes to mind but we'll se when Rybes gets his tape measure out.  We didn't even start to look at brake caliper mounting yet.  Getting the suspension working correctly is going to be fun due to the one big single lug on the Roadie arm. Some very creative thinking needed there :hat10
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

bit more creative than we first thought Bob. can you spot a differnce. only noticed it this mornin when puttin it all back tgeva. that gaps there because of 2 plates that i think are engine mounts. gunna have to take a look at the manual to remind meself what they do. unless they can be easily modified and made smaller i dont think this swingarm will fit  :doubt yes im sulkin lol

heres ya numbers RF

front width includin caps 257mm
gap in the front 100mm
overall length 625
center of swingarm spindle to closest point on the adjuster 500mm

Bixxer Bob

:doubt  What plates are they mate, can't quite make out what you mean......

rybes

rybes

rf9rider

Cheers Rybes, my choice of swing arm is also too wide.

Have to have a rethink.

rybes

anytime mate. what was ya thinkin of usin ?

rf9rider

Was thinking of a T595 Single sided swing arm, but its 284mm wide at pivot point, plus it hasn`t the gap at the front.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130606145298

Then i started looking at VFR750 Single sided, still too wide but 274mm wide, though it has a gap at the front.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200841449693

Still searching, looking at Ducati`s and trying to find measurements.

Something to do for next winter.

Edit; Just did a search and found this, i`ll have to look into the measurements a bit further

Ducati 748/916/996/998 - 243mm
Honda VFR750 (1990-93) - 242mm
Honda VFR750 (1994-97) - 227mm
VFR400 - 192mm
RVR400 - 202mm
Hawk NT650 - 235mm
RC30 - 235mm
RC45 - 250mm
MV Agusta F4 - 255mm