News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Paging Mustang...

Started by Bixxer Bob, December 14, 2012, 07:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oxnsox

Hey at least it isn't one of these
www.gizmag.com/phillippe-starck-designed...cafe.../8812/
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bixxer Bob

You can see his signature curves on the exhausts. 

I'm getting pee'd off with this thing.  It's really finniky to start.  I've found it's best to open the fuel tap to top up the carb then close it again to stop it flooding.  Then put on full choke, then start it with a few short cranks.  Absolutely no throttle until it's running on choke for a few seconds otherwise it'll stall and then it's REALLY hard to start. 

I'm sure I got all the carb galleries properly cleaned out when I stripped it but it's still not playing.  Maybe the Seafoam and a thrash will do it.  Unfortunatey, it has to run in order to get it MOT'd and can't take it for a thrash until it's MOT'd so a Catch 22 situation.  I could trailer it to the MOT station and just hope I can get it to fire once we get there.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Going back in the mists of degraded memory here but,
Does it have an accelerator pump? These have been known to pass neat fuel at idle giving the impression of flooding as the small o rings perrish. Also there is the accelerator pump delivery tube that sits air filter side of the needle which can block too. Look down the carb venturi and twist the throttle, fuel should be seen to squirt from this tube. (usually brass coloured).

Is the float level correct and the float not fouling on the float bowl. Is the viton tip on the jiggle valve in tact and seating correctly? The pin and valve seat are pretty standard on Miks.

It is sounding like our old friend the air leak, try resealing the inlet stub to the head as the o ring can deteriorate with age.

A compression check will reveal if it has been cosseted damp or dry in its lay up which could diagnose a slight leak on one of the valves. (cured with good thrashing).

The Rotax lumps were actually very good so a good look at periferals usually cures the problem. Modern plugs can wet very easily to the point where the porcelain centre insulater creates an internal short and no matter how many times its dried out with a flame will not fire.

As always they were trying their hardest to make the engine run as lean as possible and the science of said was in its infancy but still a cold start should be, choke, no throttle, press the button and let idle.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

Thanks Nige, it fired up straight away after the carb rebuild and ran well enough but then after standing for a few days it took a lot of coaxing to get it to run.  I'm too used to FI I guess.  I vaguely remember my 900 Trident being similar (absolutely no throttle) which would be the same as a Steamer.

I think it'll be just a case of learning it's foibles.  We'll see because the lady wants me to get it MOT'd next week.  That Seafoam equivalent is looking ever more attractive.....

Just read your post again, gallery that opens into venturi on filter side is deffo clear, will check rubber boot on carb/head for leaks. Plug makes a very strong spark out of the cylinder.  No accelerator pump, needle valve and all O rings /gaskets changed during rebuild.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Found out from a Ducati dealer today that these ba×××××ds were well known for exactly this problem when new and it turns out there's a jet kit that fixes it. Just have to find one .....

metalguru

Perhaps an email to Dynojet may unearth something.
The old LS650's used to have a similar problem....same carb too, fixed with a Dynojet kit.

:thumbsup
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

Thanks mate, I'll give them a go.