News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

where to connect the + of my gps?

Started by Marc, December 19, 2012, 09:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

when I installed my gps I disconnected the leads of the auxiary power socket to use. Seemed the easyest way to me

Of course the auxiay socket is of now use now  :BangHead

What's the best (easlyest) way to connect the positive lead of the gps? The rear break light seems a long way...

Any pics would be great  :thumbsup

Search button was no succes  :doubt  maybe someone?
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

iansoady

The auxiliary socket is a permanent live so not really the best place to power your GPS.

I'd be looking at something like tapping into the clock feed with a fused link.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Marc

Quote from: iansoady on December 19, 2012, 12:27:06 PM
The auxiliary socket is a permanent live so not really the best place to power your GPS.

I'd be looking at something like tapping into the clock feed with a fused link.

Isn't the clock permanent either??
Anyway I'm looking somewhere near there
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

iansoady

Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Timbox2

The first time I took the front fairing off mine I discovered the previous owner had tapped into the sidelight wires using a couple of scotchlock type connectors that had male lucars built in, thats where my Tom Tom ended up going to.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

I'd be looking to do what Tim's done, but I always use a relay too so that you don't put any additional load on the existing wiring.

To be clear, you connect from the sidelight positive to the relay switch and from there to ground.  Then run a very short lead from the positive side of the battery to a fuse holder then from the fuse holder to the relay switched-power side and from there to the TomTom.

Look at the rating for the TomTom and work out the size of the fuse from that.  A 5amp should be ample.

Because I run other accessories (air horn, extra lights) I have a 4-way fusebox connected to the battery, and then a secondary loom to the accessories switched by relays as necessary.

Here's a very rough drawing:

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Marc

Thanks BB for this   :XXsunsmile    Looks interesting.

I've got this relay in my garage: hella 4RA 003 510-081

Just to be sure of the connector numbers  :doubt  :doubt

To be clear, you connect from the sidelight positive to the relay switch 86
and from there to ground. 85
Then run a very short lead from the positive side of the battery to a fuse holder then from the fuse holder to the relay switched-power side 30
and from there to the TomTom 87 .
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Bixxer Bob

You got it!  85 and 86 can go either way round, it doesn't matter in this case (not always true in someone else's wiring though as you might not know what else is connected to it).

I can see from the pic on the top it's a standard 30 amp unit so it'll do in any bike circuit since the bikes master fuse is 30 amp too.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

TBH although I'm generally a fan of relays I probably wouldn't bother for powering a GPS which is likely to be minimal load - I've seen figures of 0.5 amps. In fact the relay might draw just as much.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

:pottytrain2

It's only personal... but I don't like Triumph's skinny wires so keep away from loading them up wherever possible.  And he's only a step away from other farkles. With a relay he's all set to power them all... at least until his stator goes phutt!

Marc

Quote from: iansoady on December 20, 2012, 01:14:03 PM
TBH although I'm generally a fan of relays I probably wouldn't bother for powering a GPS which is likely to be minimal load - I've seen figures of 0.5 amps. In fact the relay might draw just as much.
Quote from: Bixxer Bob on December 20, 2012, 03:23:12 PM
:pottytrain2

It's only personal... but I don't like Triumph's skinny wires so keep away from loading them up wherever possible.  And he's only a step away from other farkles. With a relay he's all set to power them all... at least until his stator goes phutt!

This is the problem I found today:
The input to the charging station of the TomTom is 12V, the output 5V!
I had no signal on the gps, so checked the pins on the dock: 10,66V  :BangHead
Removed the relay and connected the dock direclty to the battery by fuse: 5V  :XXsunsmile
Could the relay be of any influence??

30 goes to battery (fused)
87 tot gps
85 ground
86 horn

don't know why, but I'm a bit sceptic of this connection to the horn (86)??
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Bixxer Bob

Errm, I wouldn't have used the horn.  One side will be 12v from ign switch (banded orange) , one side will be 12v minus resistance of the coil in the horn (banded purple) so 10v sounds about right.  Bear in mind, the power from the horn is live when the ign is on but is grounded by the horn switch when you press it. My advice, find somewhere else.

cosmo

I mounted a battery remote terminal from a W123 Merc just behind the battery, with power from a 30 amp circuit breaker. That's my tap for accesories. Since the GPS is always off the bike when I am, I just wired a cigar lighter socket (on a lead, not a dash mount) to the terminal, routed it up to my GPS mount, and plugged the GPS in when I need it.

Relays are great, but this is a waste of a relay, truly.

FWIW, I've also run 10 ga positive and earth leads to terminals in the fairing, again for power taps. These also provide power for the (relayed) headlamps.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: cosmo on March 19, 2013, 01:15:07 AM

Relays are great, but this is a waste of a relay, truly.

Cosmo

If you look at my post halfway down Cosmo, you'll see I was just thinking ahead, giving him the option to use one relay to drive other farkles too.  I have one fused relay, switched by the ign, that feeds a four-way fuse box for my extra lights, air horn, GPS etc etc

Marc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 18, 2013, 08:27:02 PM
Errm, I wouldn't have used the horn.  One side will be 12v from ign switch (banded orange) , one side will be 12v minus resistance of the coil in the horn (banded purple) so 10v sounds about right.  Bear in mind, the power from the horn is live when the ign is on but is grounded by the horn switch when you press it. My advice, find somewhere else.

Ha! :sign13 that's why ... I think I'll go for the side or tail light.
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39