News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

speedo not working after tank off

Started by crinker, February 06, 2013, 10:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crinker

Had the tank and airbox off to check valves and replace filters/spark plugs.  When I got it all together I had the engine management light on and the speedometer doesn't work.  So with help from this forum I did the 3 heat cycles and the last one was the 12 minute run after the fan started.  Engine light cleared but the speedo still does not work.  There must be power cause the trip meter and odometer numbers light up but don't change in mileage (odometer reading 0.00).  Checked connections under fairing but all seem good.  Is there a connector under the tank I could have unhooked?  Everything else seems to operate.  I may have missed a post here about it so I'll keep looking.  The speedo worked last time I had it out as I remember.  May pull the front wheel and have a look at the speed sensor. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Bixxer Bob

Not really anything under the tank that would do this other than fuses but that'd affect other circuits too.  My guess would be the sensor in the front hub as you said.

Or the sensor  wiring of course.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

crinker

Thanks for the reply.  It may be a coincidence this is happening.  Pulled front wheel and magnet was jammed down in the housing.  Pryed it out as gently as i could, so we'll see if it functions after cleanup, lube, and reassembley.  I'll need to pay closer attention putting the front wheel back together.

Chris Canning

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 06, 2013, 10:55:49 PM
  My guess would be the sensor in the front hub as you said.

Yep,and boy they take some cleaning if your determind to get all the crap out,ideally you need 3 hands!!! one to spray the WD into the speedo drive,one to hold it and the third with a decent brush  :wave

crinker

Well I had a few "bumps" to smooth down after I got the magnet out.  Tried some wheel bearing grease to lube everything but I'm thinking the magnet should be dry (and the grease a little too thick and old).  I spun the wheel to see if the speedo would move at all and no luck.  Anyway still not working as magnet seems to seat down in the housing after I reassemble, then take it all apart again and the magnet is jammed again.  Should the magnet be flush with the metal sleeve or does it recess about 1/16" or so like I'm seeing? With everything wiped and clean, I'm guessing the magnet should spin freely in the housing even if it bottoms out.  Leaning toward ordering a new unit from Bike Bandit but want to be sure before dropping 140 bucks.

Bixxer Bob

I can't comment on the seizing as I've never had one of these apart, but spinning the wheel by hand isn't enough to excite the speedo.  I recall reading that there is a minimum speed required before the speedo registers, but I can't remember the actual figure.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Quote from: crinker on February 07, 2013, 12:51:55 AM
Well I had a few "bumps" to smooth down after I got the magnet out.  Tried some wheel bearing grease to lube everything but I'm thinking the magnet should be dry (and the grease a little too thick and old).  I spun the wheel to see if the speedo would move at all and no luck.  Anyway still not working as magnet seems to seat down in the housing after I reassemble, then take it all apart again and the magnet is jammed again.  Should the magnet be flush with the metal sleeve or does it recess about 1/16" or so like I'm seeing? With everything wiped and clean, I'm guessing the magnet should spin freely in the housing even if it bottoms out.  Leaning toward ordering a new unit from Bike Bandit but want to be sure before dropping 140 bucks.

I've had my front wheel out dozens of time and I've no idea what you on about because my drive is a sealed unit,so if you've bits falling out time for new one,the speedo drive on my second 885i went belly up within 6 months,had a chuckle at you spinning the wheel,blimey you must as old as me!!! used to speedo cables are we  :wave

blacktiger

Crinker,
You haven't actually said what bike you're working on. We could all be talking bollox here.
However, on my 955 the speedo is a sealed unit as Chris said. I had to replace mine after it got gunged up and seized which allowed the metal tab washer in the wheel to grind a nice groove in the Tufnol (or similar soft material) lump that the tabs should engage into. Check that out and see if that's not your problem. If the tabs are just rotating around a grove and not engaging the drive it won't read nothin'!
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

crinker

Thanks for all the replies.  Sorry i left out the bike details...2000 tiger 885i.  And yeah, i ain't no spring chicken anymore but not totally over the hill either, a few years shy of 60.  A speedo with a mechanical drive and cable makes a whole lot more sense to me, too!

crinker

Had the magnet out again and cleaned it up.  Lubed it with some silicon spray and went for a ride.  Still a no go so i broke out the credit card and ordered one from Bike Bandit.  Will let you know the outcome in a couple weeks since Triumph parts take awhile.

crinker

Finally got the new speedo assembly in the mail today and installed it in short order.  Suited up for a ride on this ugly PA day and it works! 

blacktiger

nadahonda

Hey there crinker!

My speedo failed on my 2000 885i after the local shop worked on the front tire...I know I need a new one, and I just wanted confirmation that I am ordering the correct part from Bike Bandit - Is it the #15 - speedo drive assy, elec in the link below? Does that include the actual cable? The fiche is a little vague....

http://www.bikebandit.com/2000-triumph-tiger-885i/o/m147343#sch564364

Thanks, and I'm glad your speedo problems are solved.....

-nada

"Ride the Tiger. You can see his stripes, but you know he\'s clean"
-Ronnie James Dio -R.I.P-
\\m/(o.o)\\m/
2000 Tiger 885i
1978 Honda CX500

blacktiger

Quote from: nadahonda on February 26, 2013, 04:40:12 PM
Hey there crinker!

My speedo failed on my 2000 885i after the local shop worked on the front tire...I know I need a new one, and I just wanted confirmation that I am ordering the correct part from Bike Bandit - Is it the #15 - speedo drive assy, elec in the link below? Does that include the actual cable? The fiche is a little vague....

http://www.bikebandit.com/2000-triumph-tiger-885i/o/m147343#sch564364

Thanks, and I'm glad your speedo problems are solved.....

-nada

If your speedo drive ISN'T a spinning cable type then that is the bit you need. Yes it comes with the electrical cable that plugs into the loom behind the fairing somewhere.

crinker

I echo what BlackTiger has said.  The lead is a part of the unit but the connector under the fairing is a pain in the rear!  Lots of luck!