News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch Cable

Started by Chris Canning, February 13, 2013, 10:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

For some strange reason I decided to take a spare clutch cable when we went to Mugello last year after years of not bothering,found a much smaller option.

SilverTiger

Where's that from Chris?
2006 silver Triumph Tiger 955i
1975 Triumph Bonneville T140
1972 Kawasaki 500 H1B - now restored, very orange
1999 Yamaha R1 - bought new

benebob

I'd be worried long term that the "nipple" will pull off, just when you need it.  I've had it come off on custom made brake cables on old Hondas where you can't get OEM equipment anymore.  Not a lot of fun.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

iansoady

I must say I've never had a lot of success with solderless nipples.

The best option (which I used on my Commando when touring and trials bikes) is to fit a new one and put the old one next to it (as you know it fits), lubricated and with the ends sealed up. It's then a matter of minutes to change over. As I discovered one rainy morning near Coutances (but I have to say I should never have let the original get as bad as it was).
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Timbox2

Quote from: benebob on February 13, 2013, 11:51:28 AM
I'd be worried long term that the "nipple" will pull off, just when you need it.  I've had it come off on custom made brake cables on old Hondas where you can't get OEM equipment anymore.  Not a lot of fun.

I think Chris sees it more of a "Get You Home" job, loads quicker at the side of the road just threading an inner in, good idea I reckon. As Ian above, my Tiger had 2 clutch cables and 2 throttle cables running side by side when I bought it, previous owner wasnt taking any chances!!
2016 Tiger Sport

benebob

Quote from: Timbox2 on February 13, 2013, 12:03:58 PM

I think Chris sees it more of a "Get You Home" job, loads quicker at the side of the road just threading an inner in, good idea I reckon. As Ian above, my Tiger had 2 clutch cables and 2 throttle cables running side by side when I bought it, previous owner wasnt taking any chances!!

I would suspect he is but not all the lurkers here suspect the same. :)  That's funny about the 2 cables.  I'd like to know how the p.o. fished 2 cables through together as I had a tough enough time fishing one clutch cable through.  Just didn't want to go
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Chris Canning

Timbox2

Quote from: benebob on February 13, 2013, 02:12:12 PM
Quote from: Timbox2 on February 13, 2013, 12:03:58 PM

I would suspect he is but not all the lurkers here suspect the same. :)  That's funny about the 2 cables.  I'd like to know how the p.o. fished 2 cables through together as I had a tough enough time fishing one clutch cable through.  Just didn't want to go

I took them out in the end and to me there seemed to be loads of room
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Did you take the tank off Bene B or did you do it the hard way?  Tank off is 10 mins max once you've done it a couple of times, read the "how to" sticky.  Couple of points though, and I think they are in the sticky now, have a landing zone picked our BEFORE you pull the tank.  Running round looking for somewhere to put it down will only end in tears.  And try to avoid doing it with a full tank, the emptier the better.  If there's a lot of fuel in it it has a tendency to deform while on the floor then the mounts don't line up properly when you out it back.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Tim and I had a conversation the other day about this board and another we frequent,as bikes drop down the food chain you can talk about anything you like but in the end it comes down to money as the clientel changes from 10 years ago,I've no idea how much a new spare clutch cable is,but I doubt if there are too many takers for something they may never use,for a tenner it'll fit in a side pocket on the tank bag,might come in use one day,and if it doesn't it's cost peanuts.

benebob

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 13, 2013, 05:33:05 PM
Did you take the tank off Bene B or did you do it the hard way?  Tank off is 10 mins max once you've done it a couple of times, read the "how to" sticky.  Couple of points though, and I think they are in the sticky now, have a landing zone picked our BEFORE you pull the tank.  Running round looking for somewhere to put it down will only end in tears.  And try to avoid doing it with a full tank, the emptier the better.  If there's a lot of fuel in it it has a tendency to deform while on the floor then the mounts don't line up properly when you out it back.

I taped it to the one coming out and pulled it through.  I did it in the parking lot of work at 8pm.  I can get my tank off a whole lot quicker.  It'll break off without a problem provided you give it a decent collision. :)

How to you convice your clutch cable to break only when you have limited gas in the tank. :)

Oh and a price for one is about $70 from triumph.  I now have a spare, once I fish the one out my my bike.  Sadly I'm having trouble finding many other useful items on it though. 
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

Aha, I thought you were putting a second cable in not replacing a broken one :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

benebob

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 13, 2013, 07:38:34 PM
Aha, I thought you were putting a second cable in not replacing a broken one :thumbsup

Naw, I'm 99% of a commuter rider so unless I plan a big trip where I'd get stuck somewhere for a period of time I don't think that far ahead.
13 Tiger 800

Mustang

Quote from: benebob on February 13, 2013, 06:41:54 PM

Oh and a price for one is about $70 from triumph. 
:5huh you got hosed then because current retail is $45 and bike bandit sells them for $41
remind me to avoid your dealer  :BangHead

benebob

Quote from: Mustang on February 13, 2013, 08:30:55 PM
Quote from: benebob on February 13, 2013, 06:41:54 PM

Oh and a price for one is about $70 from triumph. 
:5huh you got hosed then because current retail is $45 and bike bandit sells them for $41
remind me to avoid your dealer  :BangHead

Actually my dealer was cheaper than bike bandit was and had it in stock.  Maybe its the 885 thing or maybe I'm remembering wrong.  You can't hold me to it or I'll post a pic of my helmet from my crash.  I scraped away most of the plastic leaving just foam so I'm sure I lost a brain cell or two. :)
13 Tiger 800