News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

brake calliper swap

Started by Geoff W, February 21, 2013, 09:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff W

My rear calliper tends not to release very well, causing the disc to become very hot and wear away. Despite rebuilding with new seals it still happens.
I noticed when rebuilding that one of the seal grooves has a nick or notch in it and suspect this may be the problem.
I could rebuild it again and try smoothing it out with a Dremmel, or..... a local breaker has front callipers from a 98 steamer for sale. Is the Right front
calliper a direct swap for the rear? They look very similar and both cost the same exorbitant amount from Triumph.
All ideas gratefully received.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

coachgeo

Quote from: Geoff W on February 21, 2013, 09:00:22 PM
My rear calliper tends not to release very well, causing the disc to become very hot and wear away. Despite rebuilding with new seals it still happens.
I noticed when rebuilding that one of the seal grooves has a nick or notch in it and suspect this may be the problem.
I could rebuild it again and try smoothing it out with a Dremmel, or..... a local breaker has front callipers from a 98 steamer for sale. Is the Right front
calliper a direct swap for the rear? They look very similar and both cost the same exorbitant amount from Triumph.
All ideas gratefully received.
A reminder to search in here of you have not yet.  And if you did then a bump for the fella
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Bixxer Bob

Geoff, I've just looked at a couple of parts diagrams here:

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/section.php/4276/1/triumph_parts

and it seems Tridents use the same, but early Speed Triples don't. The clue I think , if you look at other marques of the same vintage,  is to look at the shape of the brake pads.  If the caliper mount is different, you should be able to swap yours for the one on the replacement caliper.  Hope that helps :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

without goin to the garage to check. im pretty sure the rear caliper is the same as the front left one. ill have a look tmora for ya cos i got a pair of calipers of the bike i can check it against
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: rybes on February 25, 2013, 08:26:49 PM
without goin to the garage to check. im pretty sure the rear caliper is the same as the front left one. ill have a look tmora for ya cos i got a pair of calipers of the bike i can check it against

I also believe that's correct, though there is something in my memory about an extra connection port that needs to be blanked, can check tonight. I am reliably informed that it's the same as several Hondas of the same period, so there shouldn't be any difficulty finding a substitute.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint