News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

sticky throttle

Started by wardy, March 01, 2013, 10:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wardy

hi folks any advice throttle is sticking but cable is all oiled up it has been mentioned about idle valve coked up iam  not that tech minded but i assocaite idle valve with carbs

John Stenhouse

Are you using the heated grips? Cause mine did that and was traced down to the grip expanding when the heater was on, cure was a washer between the bar end weight and the grip
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Harry

Had a similar "seasonal" problem. As mentioned above, a washer sorted it.

Bixxer Bob

You mention the cable is oiled, and that the idle valve has been suggested so by sticking throttle do you mean the twist grip is sticking, or that the revs don't drop straight to tickover when you blip the throttle but instead die down slowly after the throttle is closed/
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

wardy

yeah its the latter revs die slowly ive mentioned it to a few local mechcanic shops and they nod in all the right places but don t fill me with confidance that they really understand and i am not tech minded to do it my self

John Stenhouse

That's what the IACV valve is supposed to do, stops it stalling when you whack the throttle shut. How long does it take to come down? If it's more than a few seconds then it's probably got an air leak somewhere or the valve is sticky.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

PeteH

Hi Wardy...If you dont get it sorted by the accumulated knowledge on here , try the 2wheel workshop in Ellesmere Port http://www.twowheelworkshop.com/ nowt to do with me but have used them to get my 885i sorted.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Bixxer Bob

All good advice, and there's loads of advice on it in here, but Pete's right, if - as you say - you're not happy with spanners you should see a dealer and Pete is straight up.

When you go to the dealer, mention it might have a leak around the IACV (use the abbreviation not the full term idle air control valve and look him in the eye. If he knows where to look you'll be ok, if he doesn't, well......) .  The valve is under the airbox so he can't point to it but he can describe to you. The leak is usually in one of the tubes to the throttle bodies, but could be the IACV sticking.  He should also mention needing to reset the trims  in the ECU (engine control unit). If he doesn't you don't need to be mechanically minded, it's just a procedure which is described in the "how to" section.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

wardy

great thanks for your help i will do as you say
the local mechanics are probably great but dont inspire confidense

Bixxer Bob

Wardy, have a look at Black Tiger's post.  It may have a bearing.....

blacktiger

Yeah this thread http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,12356.0.html I think I just cured it with a good clean up and lube. Also the throttle body balance was way out which probably didn't help.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

wardy

local mechanics claim to have cleaned iacv and found cracks splits in hose s/ tubes and have tapes these up  a mate is going to give me a hand to get tank off now my haynes manual has arrived so were can i get replacement hose s i would like to get these before i take tank off if poss thanks in advance wardy

Bixxer Bob

Silicone vacuum hose does it. the stubs are 6mm and I found 6mm internal dia a bit easy to put on so bought 5mm to ensure no leaks.

wardy

any ideas what sort of supplier would stock it and whats a reasonable amount to buy thanks wardy

wardy

when we say reset trims are we just talking about bringing temp up to normal and bliping throttle a few times