News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help Please from Newbie...

Started by markarie76, March 06, 2013, 09:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markarie76

Hi All, what a wonderful site this is,
Just bought a 2003 Girly with 22000 miles on the clock, decided to give her a oil, filter, plugs and air filter change, took care with everything putting back together then started her up, took a few attempts as i presume it takes a while for the fuel and any air locks to work their way through. once warm idles all day, give it a blip on the throttle then fuel and MIL come on in sync, once i let go of the throttle if it doesn't stall both lights go off. there are no codes stored, tried OBD11 and tune ECU. The lower petrol tank connector is leaking like mad when disconected so ordered metal fittings thinking this may have something to do with it.
I will check the IACV hoses later on and replace with 6mm tubing while everything is off also the barometric sensor seemed so hard to push in to the air-box, not sure on the effects of that... Just giving a full a picture as possible.
Last night i swapped the fuel hoses round and propped the rear of the tank up so there were no kinks in the hose and the bike revved well momentarily but resumed back to the fuel,MIL problem again  :doubt
Please obi-wan kanobi... your my only help....
Mark.
All war wounds are not visible.....
2003 Tiger 955I
97 Honda CBR1100XX
89 Honda VFR NC24
01 Bandit 600S

John Stenhouse

That's a bit of a stumper. Only couple of things I can think of is fuel pump combined with the leak, try removing the tank and then the fuel plate and see what the state of the fuel filter and pump is like. Make sure you have very little fuel in the tank first!

Second, you said the pressure sensor was hard to get back in the airbox. On mine you remove the electrical connector not the sensor, just wondering if that has blocked somehow
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

markarie76

:wave :XXsunsmile Right then... checked the IACV, The plunger had unscrewed itself by half way  :doubt
screwed it back in and lubed it with plenty of silicone spray, hoses were good, changed the fuel connectors for metal ones, inside there was possibly enough Debris to have caused a partial blockage? connected the Battery and left her for 20 minutes Fan on/off cycle twice for good measure, connected Tune ecu and checked all the sensor readings, all was well so bliped the throttle and she is purring like a kitten big smiles....
she has a tor pipe on running 10120 map, shouldn't this be 10121?

Big thank you to this site as i had checked other triumph sites with no luck, what i found here is amazing and spurred me on and saved me from the dreaded stealership!
will put her back together tomorrow and make up for a weeks loss of riding ;-)
2003 Tiger 955I
97 Honda CBR1100XX
89 Honda VFR NC24
01 Bandit 600S

Timbox2

Just to recap, so the bike was running OK before the service? Im guessing yes.

The lower fuel fitting may be a clue, is the O ring on the male part on the hose intact or has it jammed/broken up in the female causing a blockage and stopping the female from sealing

It all sounds to me like a fuel starvation/pressure issue.

If the bike idles OK wouldnt think you have any probs with IACV

Kin ell, too late, we must have been typing together, glad you got it sorted, thought it was fuel blockage.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

The ECU will have screwed the IACV out to try to compensate for the lack of fuel by choking off as much air as it could.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

markarie76

You guys are the Dogs B****cks!!! No sooner had i posted my successful update you gave me the answers!!! that is why i love this site, all the threads on here from you all pointed me in the right direction, Thanks.
Now i have map 10120 on the girl with a touring can, am i right in saying it should be 10121?
Thank you in advance,
Mark. :notworthy :eusa_clap :thumbsup
2003 Tiger 955I
97 Honda CBR1100XX
89 Honda VFR NC24
01 Bandit 600S

Bixxer Bob

Yes, 10121 is the right one for pretty much any can other than the standard road can BUT - Girly  Rule Number One -  if its running well, don't eff with it, or eff with it at your peril....

Girly's are like women, very sensitive creatures  :hat10
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: markarie76 on March 07, 2013, 08:33:07 AM
You guys are the Dogs B****cks!!!

We don't know everything  :XXsunsmile but we do bang ideas about on how these Girls work, and have been doing it for years.  Eventually we settle on a consensus for most things whilst others are still debated with some energy when they come up.  And, since none of us trust the dealers (mainly because most never seemed to get their heads around these early fuel injected bikes which are now considered obsolete anyway) we tend to do everything ourselves which means, between us, we've made most of the mistakes so you don't have to. :hat10

markarie76

Thank you Bixxer Bob  :notworthy Just put the 10121 on the Girl and she starts and idles a lot better now, what a difference,
All ready for a couple of weekends away with my 11 year old Daughter now,
Happy days.
2003 Tiger 955I
97 Honda CBR1100XX
89 Honda VFR NC24
01 Bandit 600S

Bixxer Bob