News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Trophy carbs on a Steamer

Started by threepot, March 10, 2013, 10:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

Hi,Iv'e bought a set of Trophy carbs,mainly as a spare set. Does anyone know how these will perform on a Steamer?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

windscreenman1

Don't think there is any difference unless you do cams and cdi not 100% but I'm sure unless you do all three there wont be any noticable difference
Mark  :doubt

I'm sure mustang will know the answer if not then someone out there will
Mark

Mustang

they are the same carbs ....................

windscreenman1

rybes

check the jettin tho or swap your jets over cos standard tiger is 105 mains. the ones ive got on my bike have 135 mains in 1 n 3  and 127.5 on 2. plot jets are the same at 40. really do need to get em sorted soon
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

USA spec trophys came with 105 mains just like a tiger

threepot

Thanks,thats good to know. They look a clean set,tempted to try them as they are.There is a very slight hesitation with bike now,even after a good clean a while back.While their off, are  there any adjustments I can make? I understand turning idle mixture screws out an extra half-turn improves performance low down? What about lowering/raising main needle? Also they have two fuel feeds. Is it ok to blank one off?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

Moving the clip on the needle will only affect the mid - range
90% of the time you are riding just on the transition edge between pilots and mid range
I myself would open the pilot screws up a 1/2 turn first before messing with the needle clips (which BTW should be in middle notch)
Steamers like 2 to 2 1/2 turns out on the pilots (thats assuming you have #40 pilot jets)

some slight hesitation on a hard throttle whack is pretty normal for a CV carb.

I would leave the dual feed and add a second line from the steamer petcock as I have always felt that fuel delivery to #1 was always lacking on a steamer.

threepot

Thanks Mustang,I didn't think you would reply after my rant at you Sat on 'car oil'! :notworthy As I said..forums and drinking don't mix LOL. The hesitation I mentioned is at low throttle,but the bike pulls well generally. Also,I have noticed it sort of 'bogging' when applying throttle after say slowing for a bend etc,but this is minimal. Could a K&N filter be contributing to this?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

doubtful the K&N is causing any problems , try opening the pilot screws up to 2 1/2 or even 3 turns , if no joy , you may need to replace the pilot jets with #42 instead of #40's

threepot

OK,thanks.  I'm pretty nifty at changing the carbs,I can try this new set,then play around with the set I take off..go up a jet size like you suggested?

Don't know if you know but the length of the inlet manifold rubbers differ on some models eg. Trident are shorter than Daytona..only by a couple of mm,but it does make a slight diff when re-fitting carbs. Dont know if Tiger ones are shorter?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

threepot

Hi Mustang,just checked those carbs i got..they have 120 mains and 40 pilots. Seems 40 pilot is pretty std? I think I'll take your advice and go up to 42.5. Shall I keep the 120 mains,or 105? Some of you guys go bigger on 2 carb? Will two fuel feeds improve running? Thanks
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

105'S
two feeds will not improve anything but will prevent the #1 carb from being slow to fill on extended 80-90 mph runs , like we are able to do in the USA

threepot

Ok,not really bothered about high speed,although been up to 110 with no problem. I don't know why Triumph didn't use the 900 Trident engine? That had very similar characteristics with the Tiger tune,with more top speed. And the early ones..easy to change sprag clutch. Why did they change that design?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

threepot

Changed carbs yesterday,had to. Got bike out to go for a run,parked up to put gear on,came out..petrol leaking from air filter. Decided there and then to change carbs. Got set off,started to take bowls off and it seems that one of the float assemblies had worked loose?(Poor fitting o rings?). Anyway,the other set I had looked clean and fresh. So I put in the 42.5 pilots I'd recently bought for them,and the mains from the set that came off. I couldnt finish yesterday because my attempt at blocking the extra feed failed. So I finished today. One thing I forgot to do was check how many turns out the idle mix screws were . Anyway,bike seems to idle better/smoother. It seems to take a fraction longer to pick up than before,but it really pulls strong between 1/3-2/3 throttle..feels stronger than before. Looking forward to a proper run soon :-)
95 Super111
96 Tiger