News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

SMIDSY - Sorry mate I didn't see you

Started by greg, February 15, 2005, 10:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

This months Bike mag (UK) has a very interesting article in it regarding why car drivers seem to have so little trouble pulling out on bikes at junctions. The article is too long to re-type, so I am going to summarise it. I know it's not about Tigers but I feel it could save someone, somewhere, unwanted grief. Hopefully me.

Motorcyclists can become almost invisible to drivers as they ride directly towards them. 'Motion camouflage' can make bikes blend into the background causing this 'invisibility'. A related optical effect called 'looming' makes them visible again at the last moment - but this causes the driver to momentarily freeze. This is why drivers pull out and stop, frozen to the spot. Police accident records show that in nearly all SMIDSY accidents the bike has hit the car between the A-Pillar and the front wheel, suggesting that the 'looming' point is very close to the junction and the car.

How to avoid this scenario then? When approaching a junction adopt the 'command' position (Which you should be in anyway), which in the UK and other civilized countries means to the right of your lane, and adopt a smooth, single, zig zag motion, which will destroy the motion camouflage effect, and the driver will freeze prior to pulling out on you.

That's it. Or is it? Stop and think of the other possibilities of motion camouflage comrades, in domestic situations for instance, you could become invisible to your other half at crisis moments, such as when you are asked to perform domestic tasks. At the moment the opposition freezes, you can make your escape, or even better, remain constantly in a state of motion camouflage.

Enough of that, I am off to practise a drunken weave on my motorcycle.
2004 Girly.

Mr Mistoffelees

hahaha hadnt thought about the other areas we could use 'Motion camouflage' for -  :lol:

The report in Bike was good, certainly gives you more food for thought.
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions

ThreePutt

Thanks for the tid-bit. Zig-Zag it is.
Tom

2006 Tiger
2009 BMW R1200 RT