News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Looking to get back into riding after 23yrs & have some first bike Girly Q's

Started by Roadinator, April 14, 2013, 05:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadinator

Yep, that's me.  Middle aged guy looking for some fun, freedom and adventure.  Have a background in dirt bikes since I was a kid and a small amount of street bike experience a long time ago (couple of years).  I am 6'3" and 240.  Want to take some short road trips to begin with (weekend stuff), find the occasional back road and I have a bigger trip planned for Maine during the summer.  The wife said she will ride with me this time, as she didn't when I was younger on a sports bike.  I started off looking at the BMW GS bikes and noticed the price and price to own/operate.  A little research, some suggestions on ADVrider.com and the Triumph Tiger found me ;-).  It was not love at first sight, but the more I research and think about my riding scenario - mainly pavement with some back country exploring, my size and need for two up riding and my budget - the Tiger seems like a good fit (and now after more research I love the styling and uniqueness of the bike). 

My questions would be:
In general, what bike would you rather have and why? A 2002 with 18k or a 2005 with 50K (both equally taken care of and options).  Are the later years better than the earlier? (by earlier I mean the 955i, which I think starts in 2001)  I know they have cast iron rims w/tubeless tires, plastic tank, I think a 6 speed transmission and the size shifted around a few millimeters.  Any reason to choose one year over the other?  (I have roughly a 3k budget in the US)

For two up riding, the wife really wants something for support for her back.  Is a top rack luggage piece the best option?  I've seen some Corbin backrest options which look cool, but seem expensive.  Is a luggage top secure enough to lean against?  Is it possible with the rack configuration to get it that close to the person?  And what about foam or some kind of padding for comfort up against the back?  If I find a bike with the factory top case, can that work?  Any examples of good options or experiences with how you made it work?

I think that is it for now.  I finish up my motorcycle training course this weekend and get my license on Monday!  Can wait to ride again some day soon!!!!!

Thanks,
John
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange

markarie76

Helo Roadinator and welcome, although newish to the Tiger scene, i can give you my 50 cents   :thumbsup
I have ridden all sorts of bikes through the years from V twins to Yamaha R1, CBR 1100XX  and so on, i initially swapped a GSX1400 for the tiger with a view to selling it on, like you it didn't grab me looks wise but that 120 mile trip home made me smile!
I am the same height and weight as you and i own a 2003 spoked wheel version. It is a fantastic all rounder for me, i have a top box with a Pad on it, my wife and daughter find this really comfortable also the box is great for 2 helmets with ease and the Givi rack/box is very secure.
I have attached a picture of mine to give you an idea.
I hope this helps in some way,
Mark.
All war wounds are not visible.....
2003 Tiger 955I
97 Honda CBR1100XX
89 Honda VFR NC24
01 Bandit 600S

Bixxer Bob

My wife is used to me leaning forward on the Blackbird thus leaving her plenty of room.  So when I first mounted the Givi adaptor plate for our top box it pushed her further toward me than she was comfortable with.  I had to move it back a couple of inches so now it's ok; just. She'd still like more room (this is a woman who is 5'6" tall and weighs less than 130lbs) but it can't be done.   The top box with pad is secure enough for her to lean against although she tends not to after it punching her in the kidneys constantly for a couple of hours on what the UK call roads.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Roadinator

Thanks for the replies.  Sounds like a top box would work best and is mounted secure enough to use as a back rest.  I don't know how much of a pain they are to take off for solo non luggage riding.  Are the factory side panniers easy to get off?

Still open to thoughts on bike models.  I actually like the look of the spoke models.

Thanks!

PeteH

Quote from: Roadinator on April 14, 2013, 05:17:33 PM

My questions would be:
In general, what bike would you rather have and why? A 2002 with 18k or a 2005 with 50K (both equally taken care of and options).  Are the later years better than the earlier? (by earlier I mean the 955i, which I think starts in 2001)  I know they have cast iron rims w/tubeless tires, plastic tank, I think a 6 speed transmission and the size shifted around a few millimeters.  Any reason to choose one year over the other?

For two up riding, the wife really wants something for support for her back.  Is a top rack luggage piece the best option?  I've seen some Corbin backrest options which look cool, but seem expensive.  Is a luggage top secure enough to lean against?  Is it possible with the rack configuration to get it that close to the person?  And what about foam or some kind of padding for comfort up against the back?

First off I ride an 885i so cant vouch for which 955 to go for, but have to say that spoked one doesnt have cast iron rims, best just go for one thats been looked after and prefarably has some dealer stamps in the log book, failing that the seller should have a load of reciepts for payments made :thumbsup

As for the top box, mines a Givi with a foam back pad fitted but its not as wide as Marks. The box would need to moved back if I took frequent passengers as the pad sits them forward of the rear of the seat at the moment, removal of the box is easy... open with key and press button to release latch...job done :eusa_dance
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

metalguru

Hi and welcome to the madhouse.

I have had a steamer and the 885 and now the 955 with cast wheels.
The Steamer I thought was a great bike untill some guy offered me silly money for it so it went.
Then bought a yellow 885 and although it caused me a bit of grief it was even better than the 855 in alot of ways.
Sadly the 885 passed away and I got a cast wheel 955, this rode differently to both the previous bikes and was more comfy, some don't like the suspension but with my back I can't risk too much jarring. The engine delivery in comparison to the previous bikes is substantial.
I would say that look at the latest bike for your budget but the early Steamers were great and still are.

Before the keyboards around the forum light up.......this is my opinion for what its worth but every Tiger I have owned have been great machines and still make me smile.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

John Stenhouse

Maybe I have a good 885i or even a bad 955i but I don't think there's a huge amount between them, pick what can find. There's not a huge difference in specs between early and later bikes.

Up to I think 2004 they're the same apart from the wheels. 2004 to 05 I think they tweaked the front forks for trail angle, then in late 05 to 06 they changed the engine cases for the 1050 type. That's all I can remember, anyone else?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

markarie76

All war wounds are not visible.....
2003 Tiger 955I
97 Honda CBR1100XX
89 Honda VFR NC24
01 Bandit 600S

Roadinator

Thanks again for the replies.  I have my eye on a 2005 with 50k and Triumph panniers (no top box).  Second owner picked it up at a Triumph dealer from a trade in.  Bike has a good maintenance log that sold the second owner on trying it out.  I don't think he has ridden it much as he says it's not his thing (style of bike).  Looks very clean with a new front tire and a recent check up at the Triumph dealer.  Stock except for crash guards.  He said heated hand grips not working.

I was worried about the miles on the bike, but sounds like it is one that has been taken care of and that motor can take the miles like a champ.  Will see if it made it through the weekend without being sold (on Craigslist here in the states and some folks don't update a post once it is sold).  I little far away from me, but not much selection right now.  Hoping it works out. 

Roadinator

Heading out tomorrow to look at my first Girly.  Hope I like what I see (tired of reading about them and looking at bikes on the web).   Just wish it was a blue one, but the orange is pretty cool.  Will let you know how it goes!

Dutch

The orange look better in real live than on a picture or a not so well lit showroom.

As for the 50 K, the engine should be able to take it, but other parts will have worn more than with a 20 K bike. Not a problem, as long as the price is right. For example the shock will have seen better days at that milage. Which is a good excuse to swap it for a realy good aftermarket one.

I'm not sure what the demands are nowadays, but 20 years ago it was very easy to get a bike license in the US. I read you have taken a course, good descision. When you are getting used to the bike a bit, I'd suggest an advanced riders course. Not much airbags, crumple zones, esp, etc on the bike, in case of a Girly not even abs. So there will be occasions where the only thing between you and hospital are a defensive riding style and riding skills. That dirtbiking does give a good start though, I've seen an ex moto X rider do things with a Goldwing 1100 that I'm pretty sure Honda had not in mind when they developed that bike  :hat10

Roadinator

Happy to say I am the new owner of a 2005 Triumph Tiger 955i :eusa_clap :thumbsup :wave :XXsunsmile :pottytrain2 :notworthy :love10

The Lucifer orange looked pretty darn nice in person.  My family thinks I am crazy for buying an orange motorcycle, but Dutch you are right - the pictures do not do it justice.  I pick it up on Saturday and drive it three hours home.  Still working out a ride to go pick it up, so the adventure has already begun. 

It was in good shape and will need a back tire soon (maybe 1k left?).  I guess I will match the new front tire which is a Heidenau K76.  The suspension did feel a bit soggy.  I read there are some adjustments that can be made to the rear shock with preload (I am not a small guy).  The engine performed well and it was actually a little smaller than what I was expecting.  My only comparison is a GS1150.  I looked at the seat adjustment and it was in the middle.   I guess the tripple has a bit of a whirling sound when it runs.  Didn't sound like a problem, just the first time in front of one.  Purred like a kitten and pulled like a champ.  I can see myself getting into trouble if I am not careful. 

I am sure I will have lot's of questions and will post a picture soon.

Thanks,
John   

PeteH

Quote from: Roadinator on April 17, 2013, 11:48:00 PM
Happy to say I am the new owner of a 2005 Triumph Tiger 955i,  I guess the tripple has a bit of a whirling sound when it runs.

Welcome to triple heaven....I liken that whirling sound to a turbine, smooth and effortless :thumbsup
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Dutch

Congratulations, hope you have heaps of fun with the new bike.

You mentioned back roads, would that be tarmac or dirt? When (almost) all of your riding is on the black stuff you might want to swap both for full road tires.

Roadinator

Mostly tarmac.  Is the Heidenau K76 not a good tire?  I know the owner was not real happy with it.  I think the back is a Bridgestone touring tire.  My plan is to ride it for two months and go from there.  I might have a bigger trip at the end of June and will figure out tires by then.  To much money going out for people gear right now.  Need a decent helmet for me and the wife, jacket, top box, boots and intercom system.  Ouch...