News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Pannier racks for the Tigger!

Started by Rallyroo, April 25, 2013, 12:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rallyroo

I couldn't find any out there that I particularly liked, and they're ALL expensive. I got a set of Seahorse cases to mount up, but needed a frame to mount to. So, I decided to build my own!

Materials:
1/2" EMT galvanized electrical conduit (actual OD ~3/4")
3/4" 16 ga wall mild steel tube
3/16" thick steel plate
Assorted hardware
A buddy with a MIG welder

The EMT tube bends really easily, so we made the two "hoops" out of that. It's pretty strong, but the supports needed to be a little burlier, so we made them from the 16 gauge 3/4" tube. The mounting tabs replace the OEM aluminum top rack mounts and bolt right to the subframe, although I had to notch the side covers to get the tubes to fit. There's a removable rear brace that spans the license plate holder/mud flap to add lateral strength, and a tube connects the hoops to each passenger footpeg bracket. It's a pretty clean design, and it turned out as well as if we had actually measured things along the way!

A teaser pic of the rack in progress:

I still have to clean up the welds and spray the "appliance epoxy" paint; more pictures when it's finished! Then, setting up a quick-release mount system for the hard bags.

Mustang

you need a support between the two hoops like in the below pic , especially if you are using metal cases , trust me . been there done that .

Rallyroo

Quote from: Mustang on April 25, 2013, 02:51:26 AM
you need a support between the two hoops like in the below pic , especially if you are using metal cases , trust me . been there done that .

Do you mean the brace across the rear? I do have a strut that connects the hoops just below the license plate, similar to the one in that picture (it's not shown in the pictures above, as only one was mounted at that point!)

The seahorse cases are plastic (basically a Pelican-style waterproof case) so they will absorb some energy, but I definitely wanted to make the racks as burly as possible in any case.

All in, the steel hoop racks are actually lighter than the cast aluminum OEM top rack! I'll be using some sort of top "plate" for soft bags, but don't see myself using the OEM top case so I'm ditching the top rack altogether.

Mustang

my home made rack utilizes the subframe as well as the oem rack and is so stout you can hang a battle ship off the mounting hoops . I made mine with givi quick release monokey mounts , and they also have the ability to carry any kind of metal case also , even 40 mm ammo cans

Rallyroo

That does look like a good system! I thought about ammo cans or something similar, but the plastic boxes are way lighter. I'm hoping not to test their (or the racks') durability...

Rallyroo

Painted and mounted!

Is that what you meant about a rear support, Mustang?

Also fabbed up the "pucks" that will mount the Seahorse cases to the racks:

Sin_Tiger

Nice job, looks sturdy enough and period  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Rallyroo

Boxes attached!

I'm going to have to remember that they are, in fact, 3" wider than my handlebars and not get myself into any tight squeezes!

Here's the mount setup. L brackets at the top and bottom, clamps to the hoop with a knob. The top bracket will have a lock-plate that bends over the bracket to hold the box in position.

Mustang

wait till you feel the nice little speed wobble you get when dancing with semis on the interstate .............. :hat10 :hat10
looks good

Rallyroo

Quote from: Mustang on April 29, 2013, 02:08:47 AM
wait till you feel the nice little speed wobble you get when dancing with semis on the interstate .............. :hat10 :hat10
looks good

Thanks! I have yet to test ride it... I'm curious to see how much the handling is effected with those giant barn doors on there! Out of curiosity, how wide was your rack with the ammo cans?

Mustang

about the same as yours...............a little wider with my givis

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

97tiger885

Quote from: Rallyroo on April 29, 2013, 01:02:44 AM

I'm going to have to remember that they are, in fact, 3" wider than my handlebars and not get myself into any tight squeezes.

Im in the USA.  I know one day I am going to pass a stopped car on the right and get my right bag torn off by a  protruding mailbox.  I have duct tape and cargo netting at the ready.

Rallyroo

Ok, this ought to do for now:

Added a tie-down plate for my soft dry bag, and two tool tubes down underneath the exhaust canisters so I don't have to go digging for wrenches. I can use the top plate as a cutting board for cooking in camp as well!  :hat10

Now where's that preload adjustment?

Geoff W

A very good set up. I am interested to know how you attached the tool tubes in position. I have one , but I have never settled on a place to attach it to my steamer.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.