News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

06 Tiger and TT skid plate question, before I spend $$$

Started by haroldo_psf, April 30, 2013, 05:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haroldo_psf

Hi all,

I have an 06 Tiger which came with the touratech crash bars, and it has the OEM center stand. From what I understand after some searching, is that the Touratech skid plate won't fit with the Triumph OEM center stand, only with the SW-Motech center stand.

My question is...What exactly doesn't fit? Is there any drilling, grinding, and bending that can solve the problem?

What other options of skid plates are out there? Or, the flip side question would be, are there many stories of mangled headers while off road riding with the stock skid plate?
2000 Tiger 885i

yack_ass

hey guys,

If you have a skid plate, how thick is it, and which material?

At my new job, I'm working with a CNC laser (5-axis fuck yeah  :rock-1:), and I can get my hands on some sheat mettal (aluminium, rostfrei, galvanized steel). I suppose the best bet is aluminium, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to get my hands on a sufficient amount.

Anywho, how thick? I was thinkihg in the range of around 0,8-1,0mm. I admit mostly it is for show  :icon_redface:

atokad

Quote from: haroldo_psf on April 30, 2013, 05:22:40 AM
Hi all,

I have an 06 Tiger which came with the touratech crash bars, and it has the OEM center stand. From what I understand after some searching, is that the Touratech skid plate won't fit with the Triumph OEM center stand, only with the SW-Motech center stand.

My question is...What exactly doesn't fit? Is there any drilling, grinding, and bending that can solve the problem?

What other options of skid plates are out there? Or, the flip side question would be, are there many stories of mangled headers while off road riding with the stock skid plate?

99.9% sure that is correct, TT skid plate is a no go with OEM center stand.

I was going to get a TT skid, but after 5 years of Colorado Forest Service roads and no "underbelly" problems, I still run with the stock skid plate and now have no plans to get anything different.

For one, the $$, for two, tired of adding things that add weight to the bike like crash bars (well worth it) Center stand, tail bag (full of stuff, tools, air compressor yada yada), GPS (I know I know, ounces right? but it all adds up), bar risers, heavier fork springs, BMW hand guards, heat troller, larger windscreen, touring pegs, Corbin seat(500 friggin pounds), etc, etc, oh, and the few pounds I added to my frame!  :icon_frown:

And lastly, just something else to unbolt, move etc.