News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear tire sizing '05 Tiger

Started by Roadinator, May 03, 2013, 08:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadinator

The "new to me" '05 tiger I picked has a back tire that is about at the end of it's life.  The front tire was replaced recently with a
Heidenau k76, so I was going to replace the back with the same mode.  I ordered what I thought was the replacement here:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/heidenau-k76-rear-tire

The sizing is 150/70 B 17 69H TL and it looks pretty narrow.

Is this the right size?  I think the bike has a 170 on the back now (A little wider I guess?)  Are others running a wider tire?
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange

Roadinator

Tire looks fine and is the size of the tire being replaced.  I think the battlewing is a little wider, but the tire looks good to me.

Dutch

One of the reason all-road handle so nicely is the relatively small 150 tire. Even BMW's R 1200 GS ran on a 150. It's only with the new 1200 GS 'liquid cooled' they switched to a 170, as did KTM with the 1190 Adventure.

cosmo

My '06 has had a 170 on it since new. Not sure about the '05s, but I believe the tyre sizes were the same.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Dutch

I'd try a 150, might handle a lot nicer. I'd be surprised if not all cast wheel Girlies have the same rims, and the one on mine is 4.25 inch.

A 170 tire typically performs best on a 5.00". See for example BT023 site. An allroad tire prefers slightly smaller, see BW501-502 page. Rec. rim 4.50 vs 4.00 inch for a 150/70-17, though both should do fine on either.

Roadinator

Yep, the 150 seems fine and was happy to do my first wrenching on the bike (pulling the rear wheel).  My wife thinks I am cool  :rock-1:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Roadinator on May 06, 2013, 04:15:23 PM
Yep, the 150 seems fine and was happy to do my first wrenching on the bike (pulling the rear wheel).  My wife thinks I am cool  :rock-1:

Not married long then :icon_scratch: mine realised she'd married a Plonker after just a few months  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Roadinator

Going on 28 years.  I think it's because she likes the motorcycle so much  :thumbsup