News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Calling all Girly Electrical Gurus (GEGs?)

Started by KiwiTIGERnOZ, May 05, 2013, 07:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiTIGERnOZ

My Tiger has been off the road for some months with an electrical fault. She stopped in the Australian Bush, dim dash lights, no starter. I was able to crash start her down a hill, some lights on dash and got engine started, then lost power and no lights. Couldn't restart. We hid her in the bush overnight and I jumped on the back of my mates Suzuki DR, as he had no pegs he had to drop me off at the next main road, where I hitch hiked to the nearest town and waited for a train, too late on a Saturday had to call in an evac from another mate. Next day was a big mish trying to extract the bike by myself and push it up onto a motocross trailer, near snapped my back. That was I think October 2012.
I have been more determined to find this fault in recent weeks.   :icon_study:
What I have found.
OBD2 codes:
P0135 O2 Sensor
P0230 Fuel pump primary
P0462 Fuel Level "A" sensor cct low
P0562 System low volts
P1231
P1601
P1611

Checked battery voltage.
Checked main fuse
Checked all fuses
Clutch switch
Starter switch
I have traced the circuits from the workshop manual for the starting cct and fuel pump cct.
I have checked all the wires in the loom to the alarm connector in the tail. (Haven't touched the main loom which I'm dreading).
I have removed and checked the ignition switch.
Checked all connectors in instrument cluster.
I have checked the starting solenoid and connections to starter motor.
Removed starter motor, dismantled and cleaned.

Symptoms:
The dash light either fail or only slightly light up when I turn on ignition.
The dash lights dim more if I press the starter button.
There is no voltage to solenoid coil.
The main power relay does pick up.
The alarm relay has low volts ~ 4-6V across 86 – 85.
I tried to draw the alarm relay and tilt switch on the wiring diagram as it is not shown but not entirely sure. At one point this relay was 'chattering', I believe from not reaching it's minop pickup Voltage.

I've missed out on months and months of ADV riding with my mates and I was thinking of selling, getting a Yamaha Tenere or even a Suzi DR – I can't do it the Tiger's too cool! If she lives again.

I am also uncovering badly wired farkles from previous owners.
Thanks
Matt
A Kiwi, lost in a country full of Roos and Wombats, on a Tiger...it\'s jungle out there.

Bixxer Bob

Matt,  you've obviously had a good go at it, but the symptoms all suggest an end-of-life battery.  Can you borrow a known good one from a mate? Weak batteries give all sorts of problems despite showing healthy(ish) voltages when checked with a meter.

Once you KNOW the battery is ok, you can move on to other things.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

KiwiTIGERnOZ

Thanks Bixxer Bob, good call. I've had it sitting on the charger but once they're gone they're gone.
I've got a power supply that I could hook up, should have high enough current rating.

Would be rather embarrassing if that's the issue.  :icon_redface:

A Kiwi, lost in a country full of Roos and Wombats, on a Tiger...it\'s jungle out there.

iansoady

An indication would be the at-rest voltage on the battery when not connected. If this is 12.6 or less then the battery is definitely suspect. Even if not, take it to an auto electrician and get them to do a load test (although given the symptoms it does sound well past it).

Modern batteries do tend to fail suddenly without much warning.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

metalguru

Totally agree with the above.
If possible link up via good quality jump leads to a car etc and check for starting.
Check the main fuse holder as these can get hot through use and can show signs of heat. (Signs of heat = Resistance).
If the charging mod has not been done, now would be a good time to do it for preventive maintenance as even the latest Girlies are getting a bit elderly now and Triumph didn't overspend on the looms.

As for getting a jap bike.......great bikes but not a patch on Tigers.

:thumbsup

2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

KiwiTIGERnOZ

Thanks for that guys. Yes I popped into the shop on way home, load test, it's kaput. New batt, good fella knocked $10 off. Bought a fuse box for all the accessories. Made a list of mods to make sure nothing like this happens again as it always happens when you are at the furthest point from home or the pub!
First things first, hook up the new battery.
Then I'll look into the sashquatch voltage fix and other fix ups.

I'm getting a wee bit excited that I might be able to ride again soon!  :icon_wink: :thumbsup

Dutch

Don't forget to put the new battery on the charger (preferably Optimate or the like). It seems to be better for the life span if fully charged before they have to work for a living. And even when it's just a tale, it wouldn't hurt to fully charge the battery before you use it to start the bike  :icon_wink:

TigerTrax

Kiwi....
When you do the Sasquatch Voltage Fix....

USE LARGER WIRE AND CONNECTORS.... Solder everything.

Or you'll be a pile of bones in the Big Orange!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

akendall1966

I would check your charging (generator output) as I would have thought with a bump start it would keep running if only the battery was dead. If the regulator is kaput over voltage may have fried the battery and may do the same to your new one.
----AK-----

Bixxer Bob

Really good point AK  :thumbsup   Where gou been hiding?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

KiwiTIGERnOZ

Hooked up the new batt. Starter motor spins but engine doesn't crank. So does this mean that the starter sprag clutch is poked?
I have read that these tend to fail on the steamers but not so much on the girlies? I've removed the starter motor and no wear on the cog.
Removed the starter gear cover all looks good there. Thought I would ask before I drain the oil and break the side cover off the engine.
Previous owner had upgraded the rectifier, but I'll check the output.

Will I need to obtain the special triumph tool to remove the sprag clutch? (T3880017)

metalguru

Don't normally get any probs with the sprags on these.

Just a thought, have you got the battery round the right way?
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

KiwiTIGERnOZ

Hi metalguru, no batt not the wrong way round. I read the steamers sometimes would have the starter sprag fail. I've read over on triumphrat that sometimes the sprag gear has completely sheared off from the main drive shaft...now I'm not saying mine has done this but I'm starting to get worried, that would be bad.
Might take the starter cover off again and have another look with the starter motor still in (took it out last time).

metalguru

Looking at your avatar and just to make sure of engine, you have the 1050 style cases yes?
It could be the sprag has gone, but it may be good practice to rule out a few things beforehand.
As the bike has stood for a while, is the starter spinning over fast enough?
Check the main electrical connections for integrity. They may look connected physically but not so good electrically.

Years ago we used to get sprag clutch problems on the Vtwin Yams, the way round it was to remove the sprag rollers and rough them up with some wet or dry so the surface is dull rather than polished, if they have flats then they are history, do the same with the sprag gear. The manufacturers of these sprags didn't like them to be opened up so expect a bit of a struggle.

Shouldn't have to dump the oil if on the sidestand, just pull the side cases. The round inspection cover should give you a visual of the sprag gear to see if it turns, if it turns and the crank doesnt then you know how far you gotta go.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

KiwiTIGERnOZ

No she's a 2002 955i. Good tip re inspection cover thanks metalguru!