News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Finally on the road with my Steamer

Started by fattires, May 12, 2013, 05:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fattires

Just wanted to post up a little about my Steamer and say thanks to everyone here for all the information that made getting my Tiger back on the road again much easier.
Last fall I found an ad listing a 96 Steamer for sale at a very attractive price, I called the guy up and found out that he had bought the Steamer a month or so before from a guy who had it sitting in his backyard under a tarp for a couple years. The gentleman I bought it from decided it was more of a project than he wanted to take on so he decided to sell for what he had invested. Unfortunately for me the guy didn't decide it was too much for him until after he had taken many parts off. So a few days after seeing the ad online I headed 5 hours away to pick it up and bring it home (much to the disapproval of my wife with a 2 week old at home  :hat10)
I was unable to start working on her for a couple months due to moving into a new house, but finally in the middle of December I got started.
This is what I did:
Clean and sync carbs, replace o rings and gaskets.
New intake rubber, both sides of carbs
New airbox
Check valves
New sparkplugs
New battery
Replace oil sump because DPO had stripped the drain plug
Remove, clean and grease suspension linkage
New oil and recharge shock
New wheel bearings front and rear
New rear turn signals
Coolant change
Brake and clutch fluid change
Oil and filter change
New brake pads front and rear
new tubes and tires
new fork oil and add spacer
New chain and sprockets.
And I'm sure there are a couple other things that I am forgetting.

Today I took her out for about 200 miles of mostly paved secondary roads with a little gravel thrown in for good measure. She ran perfectly, she sure pulls hard from midrange on up  :bug_eye
I am really liking the Tiger, so much so that my KLR650 may be on the way out  :icon_cry: (anyone want a KLR650 with a 685 kit and USD forks? :hat10)

Here are a couple pictures from today.

As you can see the previous owner replaced the stock tank with a black one. If it wasn't for the graphics not matching it would look alright, next winter I will work on getting her looking better.

If anyone is is eastern Kentucky I would be happy to show you some great roads.  :thumbsup

Thanks again

coachgeo

From a distance (least in your pics) you can't see the off set there might be in the graphics not lining up between body panels and replaced tank.

I sorta like the way it looks.  Very interesting hmmmmmmmm
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Rallyroo

Looks great! With all that work it should go for many miles to come! I actually like the two-tone look! I might have to revisit my paint plans...

coachgeo

Quote from: Rallyroo on May 12, 2013, 05:27:36 AM
Looks great! With all that work it should go for many miles to come! I actually like the two-tone look! I might have to revisit my paint plans...
What makes it look interesting is the black tank and seat. Creates a flowing curve across the top of the bike.  A curve that reminds me of the coke bottle curve of the old corvette stingray back to front fender line

COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Geoff W

I have a 96 pimento red steamer. Now I want a BLACK TANK!! Looks so good.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

threepot

Great job,well done . I dont think anything from that era will put a smile on your face just like a 'Steamer'. That Corvette looks nice too :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

rybes

nice to be oput ridin it i bet  :thumbsup does look good with that black tank. you mightve started somthin here lol
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Sin_Tiger

I have a red tank in my garage, pity you are in the US.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

fattires

Thanks for the compliments, the black tank has really been growing on me, might just leave it like that.

aeronca

cool bike - welcome aboard, and remember - STEAMERS RULE!!!!! :icon_salut:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!