News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

When is replacement time for the Rectifier/Regulator

Started by birddogone, June 18, 2013, 01:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birddogone

Hey Fellas, I'm get'n ready to take a week's ride, around 1500 miles total. My Girly is running like a top, should the rectifier/regulator be replaced as a preventative measure? I am installing a new battery before the trip. Just have read about the total melt downs here and I sure as hell don't want that to happen.  :icon_mrgreen:
Thanks,
Rod
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

"If it doesn't run on fossil fuel or gun powder I'm not interested"

yack_ass

More experienced users will probably tell you to, measure the voltage while the motorcycle is idling, if it is above a certain value (13,7V I think) then it is safe. And that there is no real key for malfunction. Some of them go, others don't.  :icon_study:

lukeman

I think the performance degrades over time, and depending on your inclination throwing a hundred bucks at a new R/R might be worth the piece of mind.

Have you done the sasquatch mod?  I would think that as long as you are getting a good charge while its at higher revs you should be fine.  Above a couple thousand RPM you should be getting over 13.8 volts I'd imagine.  My new R/R with mosfet can hold 14.3 at high revs, but the originals output less at higher revs.  I'd just check the voltage at different RPMs and also while the bike is hot to see what its putting out.  Charge up the new battery before putting it in so you have a baseline. Should be filled up at 12.8 or .9 after its rested.  After riding for a day, the next morning you can check it and make sure the bike is keeping it full.

I replaced mine because I was barely getting 13.3 at higher revs, with heated grips on I as draining it.

Cheers.

birddogone

Thanks for the replies fellas. Luke I've not done the Sasquatch mod but have the maxi 30 amp fuse and wiring ready the next time the tank is off. My voltage is well over the mid 13s-14 when first started and around 13.2 running at 4000 rpms with head lights on low and a pair of 55w driving lights on.
Rod
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

birddogone

2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

Stitch

Quote from: lukeman on June 18, 2013, 05:39:09 PM
I think the performance degrades over time, and depending on your inclination throwing a hundred bucks at a new R/R might be worth the piece of mind.

Have you done the sasquatch mod?  I would think that as long as you are getting a good charge while its at higher revs you should be fine.  Above a couple thousand RPM you should be getting over 13.8 volts I'd imagine.  My new R/R with mosfet can hold 14.3 at high revs, but the originals output less at higher revs.  I'd just check the voltage at different RPMs and also while the bike is hot to see what its putting out.  Charge up the new battery before putting it in so you have a baseline. Should be filled up at 12.8 or .9 after its rested.  After riding for a day, the next morning you can check it and make sure the bike is keeping it full.

I replaced mine because I was barely getting 13.3 at higher revs, with heated grips on I as draining it.

Cheers.
The regulator replacement is an upgrade to a new mofset style. I decided to replace both my regulator and rectifier just before my 24k service for my piece of mind. Regulator was a no brainer (upgrade) and old rectifier coming out did not look awful so I have a couple of good working spares. Lots of threads covering the topic and lots of issues with these parts of the electrical system....right around this mileage interval. With my replacements, all wires were soldered using barrels and better than stock values (14v+) off idle. I also use a battery tender to maintain my battery and am currently installing a signal dynamics voltage monitor to keep an "eyeball" on the system. Since I could replace the parts when I wanted to, I could shop for the best deal instead on the side of the road expense.
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

birddogone

Thanks Stitch, I also have a digital voltmeter on my Girly and since I installed my new battery today my readings are a little higher than before. At Idle now I'm at 14.3 volts. Although I bought my machine used, I could swear it had the original battery in it! The old battery metered at 12.4 off the bike and the new one 12.9.
Rod
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger