News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly suspension upgrade - ADVICE ???

Started by eurobykz, June 19, 2013, 04:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurobykz

Hi all - I've spent waaaay too much time browsing about in here trying to find information about Girly suspension upgrades. 

Last fall I bought an early-2004 spoked-wheel tigger.  In a lovely orange tigger colour.   Love the bike.  But...  by the time I heft my manly frame onto the thing and add some luggage, even with preload cranked (which doesn't seem to do much) tigger points his headlight toward the sky and I grind the centre-stand.  Add my wife to the back, and this tall bike starts to emulate a cruiser...

My understanding is that the stock spring has a rating of 180 kg - the bike's recommended max payload is about 225 kg...

So.   To summarize what I have learned, or think I have learned, my options for the rear shock are as follows:

Hagon - I can get a rear shock unit built with spring for my load requirements with remote preload adjuster for under $700CND.  Some questions about reliability and durability - something about a lower bush - would love to know more and/or see photos.   But they have a Canadian dealer way down east in NS who actually responds to emails.   

Hyper-pro - this may be an option - more cash, from catalogue list price in euros from their website, it would be >$1000...      Question would be from where I can order this, and would it be special-order built to my weight specifications etc etc   Shows their Canadian distributor as being Parts Canada which means I'm dealing with our local dealer - which is okay, but a lot of middlemen and thus lots to go wrong for an expensive special-order unit. 

Wilbers - like hyper-pro, their website has a catalogue that includes an 04 tiger 955i -  but they don't seem to have any dealer in Canada - and emails to links for distributors/dealers in the US has yielded nothing...

Ohlins - actually responded to my email saying that their system said they have nothing for my bike. 

What options am I missing and does anyone have any information or advice?

Thanks

Ian Fleming
Saskatoon, Canada
Ian Fleming
Saskatoon canada

2007 MotoGuzzi Breva V11 (Italian Mistress)
2004 Tigger 955i 
2014 KTM Duke690 (impulse purchase)

metalguru

Send Sasquatch a PM, he should be able to help.

Without opening a can of worms, if you can get a unit built for your needs and is in your budget, then that is the one to go for as pricing varies considerably as you have probably found out.

the bearing is available from Triumph if stuck on the std shock or a good bearing shop, the new unit should come ready to go.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Chris Canning

The big decision on suspension  is 'Am I in it for the long haul' because if the answer is no then it's wasted money if it's yes then obviously you need to look a lot closer.

Metal has already mentioned Sasquatch he does Hyperpro at the right money,and I know there is also a Wilbers importer in the US because I know guy in the UK who's bought them off him rather than in the UK.

Both shocks will be made to measure,ie the right spring with right valving,the plus side of it that two up with your gear you'll need little or no preload on the shock,I have Wilbers suspension on a K1200 and I never had to touch the preload ever.

Neither will be cheap,and there will be a temptation to cut costs ie not bother with the remote preload,don't do it make sure you have it for no other reason it will sell better when you get rid of it,and if you ever do need any it takes seconds as opposed the hassle of a C spanner.

When you talk to who ever you will need your weight and your partners and have a guess at how much gear you carry they will need that info.

And no Ohlins only made shocks for the 955 for 12 months and stopped.

eurobykz

I don't think sasquatch is still in business??   
Ian Fleming
Saskatoon canada

2004 Tigger 955i 

Mustang

Quote from: metalguru on June 19, 2013, 05:17:21 PM
Send Sasquatch a PM, he should be able to help.
DON'T BOTHER .............. he won't be building any suspensions for quite some time , let's just say he took a slight unexpected vacation.

**SNIP**

metalguru

Thought he had been quiet for a while.

2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Chris Canning

Ha ha I'm sure there's a story!!!

But regardless getting suspension shipped is no big deal,be it either from the US or Europe,if all else fails contact this guy

http://www.revsracing.co.uk/findus.php

He's the solus importer in the UK for Wilbers I guess around 10 miles from where I live,sorting a Hyperpro won't be a problem in the Uk either.

Stitch

You may want to discuss your needs on a Wilber unit with Ted Porter of the Beemer Shop. Even though he has a beemer shop, he will be the one I will be going with (as soon as my funds allow) and is also a US Wilbers dealer. In my emails to him, he personally answered  all my questions and gave me options for what I desired to accomplish for my rear shock (and I am about in the same boat as you). After all my research and comparisions, I felt the Wilbers was the best bang for the buck.

Ted Porter

Ph: 831-438-1100 ext 113
Cell: 831-420-7776
Fax: 831-438-1104

BeemerShop, Inc.
5100 Scotts Valley Dr.
Suite 100
Scotts Valley, Ca. 95066
www.beemershop.com
Follow us on Facebook
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

Dutch

As you can read in the Dutch Queen tread I have a Wilbers on mine and am very pleased with it. I have the fully adjustable with hydraulic preload adjuster. If budget is a bit thigt an emulsion shock with hpa works fine just as well.

For your information: prices you find in Europe are typically including sales tax (vat). Percentage varies between countries but is usually around 17-21%. For export to CN this can be substracted though I don't know if you would have to pay CN sales tax at customs.

Cheers, Dutch

@ previous remark: sounds like a

Oeps

JTT

Quote from: eurobykz on June 19, 2013, 04:30:59 PM

Hagon - I can get a rear shock unit built with spring for my load requirements with remote preload adjuster for under $700CND.  Some questions about reliability and durability - something about a lower bush - would love to know more and/or see photos.   But they have a Canadian dealer way down east in NS who actually responds to emails.   

Ian, who is this dealer of whom you speak?
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

Advwannabe

I have a Hagon with remote preload on my Girly. I weigh 100kegs and load her up with about another 20 for camping trips etc or a bit more if I take the pillion.

The Hagon rep in Oz found a heavier spring for me which works little better and has always been friendly and helpful with my questions and servicing.

The lower end of the shock sometimes breaks, most often because the bike has been ridden in the muck and not serviced properly/enough. The lower mount is a brass bush that runs on the steel rod in the Tiger swing arm and the bottom eye of the shock. Although the bush has O rings at either end you still have to remove it regularly to clean and regrease it, especially if you do a bit of off bituman riding as I do. It's not hard to do, takes me less than 20 minutes now I'm set up with the right tools, but if neglected will seize up, followed by shock breakage.

The real problem with this shock though is the lack of a remote resovoir. the 955 is a linkage less system with a long swing arm and a big heavy bike levering it up and down. On corrugations and rough roads after a while the shock just gets too hot and the damping is gone.

If you are looking to carry loads on relitively smooth roads and not work the bike too hard the Hagon is a good cheap alternative. Otherwise, get something more upmarket.   
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Chris Canning

Quote from: Advwannabe on June 20, 2013, 11:28:51 PM

The real problem with this shock though is the lack of a remote resovoir. the 955 is a linkage less system with a long swing arm and a big heavy bike levering it up and down. On corrugations and rough roads after a while the shock just gets too hot and the damping is gone.

Or any other shock without a res.

eurobykz

Thanks for all this good info, folks!!   Bottom line, I would want a remote preload adjuster for sure, and the point about the remote reservoir is a good one...   I know UK prices include the horrible VAT of 20% or whatever (lived there last year - wheels for wife and I were a rented sprintGT)   - good to know about euro prices as well.   Not sure how you folks over there afford anything at all...

Just for fun the other day, I test rode the new XC.  To be honest, I didn't fall in love with it within 5 minutes the way I did with the 955.  It does feel a bit lighter, and the tire sizes allow for more choice (though I'm really content with the heidenau K60's).   So I'm going to keep tigger for at least a few years. 

So I emailed the wilbers dealer in calif  (beemercycle) last Monday.  No reply.  I'll try again  and if they won't respond to email I suppose I'll have to try calling...

I also emailed the UK Wilbers guy - <Revsracing@yahoo.co.uk> a few days ago and have received no reply. 

Here's a question - does anyone with more Girly experience and suspension knowledge have any thoughts about perofrming surgery on the hagon to correct sone of its deficiencies (lower bush connection and the lack of remote reservoir)   Is that idea totally crazy?

Ian Fleming
Saskatoon canada

2004 Tigger 955i 

eurobykz

JTT - according to the Hagon website, the Canadian dealer is britcycle in NS- I emailed and a really helpful fellow named Martin has been really responsive to my queries.   I can't remember where in NS but I don't think it was hfx - I lived down there for a couple years way back   Horrible climate.  I'll take a prairie winter any day over all that cold foggy dampness.   I do go there occasionally - my oldest son decided to join the navy so he lives there when he's not floating about in the caribean or the gulf of whatever... 

Ian Fleming
Saskatoon canada

2004 Tigger 955i 

JTT

Quote from: eurobykz on June 21, 2013, 05:45:26 PM

JTT - according to the Hagon website, the Canadian dealer is britcycle in NS- I emailed and a really helpful fellow named Martin has been really responsive to my queries.   

I know Martin!  Britcycle is my main supplier for vintage Triumph stuff.  Martin (and most of the guys there in fact) is a great guy.  I knew they could get the vintage stuff, but didn't know they could get "modern" Hagon stuff.  Good to know.

I've also been contemplating a shock.  I did my forks late last year and its SO much better (straight rate and proper rate for my weight/load, as well as emulators).  I also found a couple of other providers, Penske and Hyperpro (both available in US).  A good friend is a suspension guy (tunes for the Canadian KTM team).  He said of the ones available, the Wilbers and Penske are the top line ones, but the Hyperpro he has worked on have been very good too.  He echoed pretty much what you've heard here about the Hagon...decent, but definitely not in the league with the others.

Traxxion Dynamic carry the Penske
EPM Performance Imports carry HyperPro

Maybe they'll cut us a break on 2!
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C