News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

So what did you do at your 24k service?

Started by Stitch, June 26, 2013, 06:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stitch

A few notes from my  service:
K&N hex head made it easy to replace the oil filter. The Wix fuel filter (# in the parts interchange thread) fit well. Spark plugs were changed at 18K with NGK  iridium and was happy with the way they looked (thumbs up and will buy them again) Valve clearance check resulted in satisfactory clearances so no shimming this time around.  Look to see if I need to change the chain slack adjuster and found that everything looked good. 

I did replace all the corrugated tubing at the throttle bodies with silcone line and also replace the MAP line to the ECU with fresh hose. My bike did come with an evaporative canister and I decided awhile back to remove it at this service interval. I did leave the purge valve connected and zip tied to its original bracket to ensure the ECU did not set a code. Figure this was easy enough rather than installing a resistor in-line. The ECU will not know any difference with it terminated.  Balanced the throttle bodies which were slightly off.  I can see why many have removed this canister. Throttle control off idle is better, smoother through the rpm range, and decel  to a stop is improved as well.  Slight noticeable improvements.

Reassembled with new OEM Subaru radiator cap (# in the parts interchange thread). Stant cap I had installed was a P.O.S.   Several days of plus 100 degree temps result in a thumbs up for the Subaru replacement cap stamped with an 108 Kpa rating. 

Replaced my 46t rear sprocket with a JT steel 43t (Had already changed the front to a 19t). Popped a couple of links out of the chain to get the number to 112 (per TT recommendation) After a few days ride, never will I go back to the 46t. Much improved highway manners at the 70mph. Perfect 5th to 6th gear selection IMO.  I do notice a difference off the line but that is why I have the TOR tune....throttle twist and no issue.

Dropped the front forks 25mm (per TT recommendation for better handling). Unsure of this tweak as of yet. Front end very "tight" now but not sure if it is the drop at the triple clamp or drop and new tires.  I do like the stance of the front since it dropped an inch and seems stable at higher speeds. 

The new tires are the Michelin Road 3 Trail models . Very smooth so far. Probably wont be able to see how they do in wet weather until our Monsoon season hits in a couple of months. As mentioned , the front end is tight right now but I dont know if the tire has too much grip or its a combo of new tires and change in steering angle (fork drop).  Going to give a week or two for "tire break-in" and if it is still too tight, I will raise up the forks in the clamp 10 to 15mm to see how that fairs.

Yes, the steering head bearing are fine. However, I did find a bad bearing in the rear wheel (Left Outer #6205). I did replace them all with a fresh set of NGK bearing for about $60 shipped to my door.
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

John Stenhouse

Most folk who do the fork drop do it on the earlier bikes, yours has a steeper head angle as standard.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Stitch

Quote from: John Stenhouse on June 26, 2013, 11:48:33 AM
Most folk who do the fork drop do it on the earlier bikes, yours has a steeper head angle as standard.

I have been puzzled by the this....wasn't aware of the angle change on the '05 model or how drastic the change would be. I raised the forks in the trees to a final of 10mm drop and I would say about a 75% improvement in how "tight" the front end was at lower speeds (i.e. making a rolling turn left or right). The new Michelin Trails grip great so far....maybe too good.

Chris Canning

First things first 25mm is insane and that's on a wire wheel bike,anyone else reading this just remember there's no such thing as a free lunch that bike that becomes easy to turn at 10mph will get very interesting at a 100 or less,it was all part of why I went to a 17" front wheel,when I ran a 19" I'd dropped the forks 10mm yes sure it sharpened the steering,it also starts to load up the front tyre which I didn't like on a pissy narrow tyre,you may well be,anyone else reading this drop the forks in 3mm steps and find out if your happy,go to far and the front end will have a tendency to tuck when going into a turn,saveable on a dry day a world of pain in the wet.

Stitch

Looks like I will be going back to stock in the trees. Odd though, my turning at 10mph was interesting but control at high speed was improved. I certainly don't need any pain for experimentation.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Chris Canning on July 16, 2013, 09:33:37 AM
First things first 25mm is insane and that's on a wire wheel bike,anyone else reading this just remember there's no such thing as a free lunch that bike that becomes easy to turn at 10mph will get very interesting at a 100 or less,it was all part of why I went to a 17" front wheel,when I ran a 19" I'd dropped the forks 10mm yes sure it sharpened the steering,it also starts to load up the front tyre which I didn't like on a pissy narrow tyre,you may well be,anyone else reading this drop the forks in 3mm steps and find out if your happy,go to far and the front end will have a tendency to tuck when going into a turn,saveable on a dry day a world of pain in the wet.

I wholeheartedly agree :thumbsup

Designers don't come up with steering geometry by accident, it's a complex compromise between sharp handling/stability/weight and tyres.

The thing that sharpened up steering on mine wasn't messing with the fork height, it was switching from block tyres to pure road rubber. The effect was awesome.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

atokad

Replaced fuel filter
Replaced air filter - removed blanking plate
Replaced oil and filter
Replaced Plugs
Replaced Coolant
Inspected cooling hoses - looking a little soft and bloated, will probably replace at next 12k mile service, barring any failures of course
Inspected brake fluid reservoirs front & rear, flushed at 12k
Sprayed a little carb cleaner around intake throats of throttle bodies and added fuel system cleaner to fresh tank of gas. Damn ethanol only in Colorado. Things looked a bit black/tar/gooey inside

Will do valves again at 30K (dealer did them at 13k)
Likely will flush brake fluid at 30k
Hope to balance TB at 30k (dealer did them at 13k)

NEED CHAIN & SPROCKETS NOW... Still on originals

Stitch

Front geometry back to stock...still "tight" so I guess I will see how long the tires break in to see if it loosens up.

Atokad: I advise steel sprockets when you change out. I was not happy with the rear aluminum and glad to take it off after 6k miles (due to 43t rear change).