News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

tune ecu and tiger 885i

Started by swappy, June 26, 2013, 11:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swappy

I am hoping someone can help me out here, I purchased a 1999 tiger 885i fitted with a tor can and loaded with the tune ECU map to suit, the bike ran and started fine apart from when pulling away below 2000 rpm the engine just bogged down until you got to 2000 rpm then it took off like a scalded cat :bug_eye. After reading lots of posts on here decided to download the latest version of tune ECU and see if I could cure the problem, did nothing at first apart from reset the TPS which it did OK but solved nothing, was going to adjust the LTFT but this seems to be greyed out so no adjustment could be made. So then I loaded the map for the standard can which seemed a bit better although was still bogging down a little but noticed the idle was very erratic when the bike was warm and when cold wouldn't idle at all until the engine warmed up, didn't reset the TPS or anything else the LTFT still greyed out in tune ecu. I am going to reloaded tthe TOR map tomorrow and see what happens. I have read that I may need an earlier version of tune ECU in order to adjust the LTFT can anyone help, am I doing the right thing? :icon_rolleyes:
Yellow tiger 885i 1999

Sin_Tiger

Are you absolutely sure you have no leaks on the induction side?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

metalguru

Had loads of problems with my 885 as far as the mapping is concerned.
As Sin says about any leaks, the 885 is getting on a bit now and one main suspect is the Tps. TuneEcu can read this voltage and if it is above .68v then the TPS will need replacing. To replace it will involve removing the throttle bodies and replacing the gasket, then balance the TBs EXACTLY.
The Idle Air Control Valve is another place to look as if the convoluted pipes are still there then replace with either 5 or 6mm silicone vacuum hose. this valve must also be clean so it can move throughout its stroke. Clean out the grime that will be in the TBs.
When it is set up then go to the sensor values to ensure they are within spec, all in the manual.
TBH the TOR map was nothing but trouble as the STD map is a rich one anyway. The fuel consumption suffers considerably with the TOR map.
More sucess can be gained from altering the map where the the problems are. The LTFT is greyed out for the 885. I believe with dealer tool this adjustment can be made.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

swappy

I'be checked the TPS voltage .64 so that should be ok. Reset the TPS as well. Any ideas what the idle air control valve adjustment does in Tuneecu?
Yellow tiger 885i 1999

metalguru

First of all a good understanding of how TuneEcu works.
Read everything you can as it is well documented here and on the TuneEcu site before getting involved with any alterations because if you get it wrong your bike will not go.
You are looking for what we call the blip test where the IACV is adjusted to bring the revs down to idle when the throttle is closed. If the revs are brought down below idle and creap up then the minus number should be less. If the revs come down slowly or hover above idle then number needs to be greater. Blip to about 3k.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

swappy

Hi metal guru thanks for that, what's the default value in tuneecu for the IACV. basically what happened is I got the bike and it started and ran fine apart from pulling away, below 2000 rpm it just bogged down then took off fine through the rest of the rev range. I reloaded the map to STD 9891 it still did the same apart from if starting from stone cold eg after standing overnight it would't tick over and eventually stalled once warm ticked over and ran fine, if you let it stand for a few hours then started it the revs on tick over would rise and fall between 1000 and 2000 rpm. Have now reloaded the TOR tune 9893 and reset the TPS again values of this seem fine in tune ECU voltage is .63. Next step I think is to remove the tank and check and clean the IACV and hoses, am I heading in the right direction ?
Yellow tiger 885i 1999

John Stenhouse

No idea about tune ecu but from those symptoms I would check the temp sensor.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

metalguru

As John rightly says the temp sensor could be suspect here. Above all when he tank is off have a look at the convoluted tubes from the IACV to the Throttle bodies, if in doubt replace with silicon 6mm vacuum pipe.
Keep reading untill a full understanding is acieved of what you are looking for. Compare readings from TuneEcu to the appropriate chapter in the manual (bike).
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers