News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

tiger 955i dont start

Started by rcgomes, July 03, 2013, 10:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iansoady

Look at the attached.

You will see that when you press the starter button (17), current is supplied to both the starter solenoid (2) and the headlight cut out relay (5), on the white / red wire coming from the starter button (which changes to black before it reaches the solenoid).

In your second video, the headlights are on bright till you press the button when they go out completely. The dash lights however stay bright indicating that battery voltage is not dropping.

Therefore it MUST be the case that the button is supplying voltage to the W/R wire (as the headlights go out) and it follows that there is either a break between that and the solenoid OR that the solenoid is faulty OR that the clutch switch (7) is not working and providing a return path for the solenoid. Each of these can easily be tested with your multimeter.

Electrical problems only respond to a systematic and methodical approach.

Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

rcgomes

hello thanks for help!! and the regulator rectifier/current rectifier, nothing to do with the problem? i need to test, but i test the solenoid and its seems ok! need to see this switches then   :thumbsup

for test the switches need to put multimeter gauge to less possible ohms? and see if have ohms is fauty right? need to have 0 for work?

iansoady

No the reg/rec has nothing to do with starting at all.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

PeteH

Quote from: iansoady on July 12, 2013, 05:40:04 PM
You will see that when you press the starter button (17), current is supplied to both the starter solenoid (2) and the headlight cut out relay (5), on the white / red wire coming from the starter button (which changes to black before it reaches the solenoid).

Therefore it MUST be the case that the button is supplying voltage to the W/R wire (as the headlights go out) and it follows that there is either a break between that and the solenoid OR that the solenoid is faulty OR that the clutch switch (7) is not working and providing a return path for the solenoid. Each of these can easily be tested with your multimeter.

Ian you have just cofirmed what I said in my earlier post, but with added drawing :icon_salut:

rcg...all you did in the video was check the solenoid and not the wiring to it, so check the clutch switch and the wiring from it into the loom, as said earlier you will need to remove the cockpit to gain access to the loom connector block.

Have just been out and put the ignition on with lights and tried to start her without the clutch lever in...it did exactly what yours is doing.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

rcgomes

so Pete you put money in the table for the clutch switch wiring? for this work i only have time monday. thanks

PeteH

rcg....I`ll put a £1 on the table yes :icon_lol: as Ian has also pointed out with the help of the drawing how that bit of circuit works....or doesnt :icon_wink:

Best of luck in getting it sorted....frustration comes to mind :icon_cry:

rcgomes

Quote from: PeteH on July 13, 2013, 11:40:15 AM
rcg....I`ll put a £1 on the table yes :icon_lol: as Ian has also pointed out with the help of the drawing how that bit of circuit works....or doesnt :icon_wink:

Best of luck in getting it sorted....frustration comes to mind :icon_cry:

understand man! il go see this better next week! i need ride my bike!! :icon_evil: i will try to jump the clutch safety switch and see if the bike starts

PeteH

Ah the power of You Tube :icon_biggrin: seem to recall starting at the switch end myself, when I didnt get any joy it was time to start looking further down the loom, my problem was with the black wire(arrowed red) it was broben where it entered the crimp in the connector

lukeman

Yeah I think the next test would be to make sure the starter solenoid is getting power when the start button is pushed. Should be pretty easy with your multimeter.  I think you tested that the solenoid is functional but probably not getting power to activate it.

rcgomes

hello today I walked around the bike, I'm very sad! I disassembled the whole fairing and cables are all well and running/ swithes are ok!!! i jump start and the same!!!!! I had help from several people to try start  into a descent and nothing! this guys only make funny of Triumph!!! tellme for buy a chinese Honda or BMW !!! :icon_evil: i bring the solenoid for home to try test again! im down!!! 2 years ago the same problem the bike never start(but cranking ) and  is fuel pump issue, so new fuel pump!!! this press start only light go crazy and no cranking!!! oh man...  :icon_frown:

Bixxer Bob

RC, just a thought, do you speak much English (better than my Potugese I'll bet) and do you have Skype?  We could fix up a Skype session which would be nearly the same as being there helping you.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rcgomes

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on July 21, 2013, 12:53:15 PM
RC, just a thought, do you speak much English (better than my Potugese I'll bet) and do you have Skype?  We could fix up a Skype session which would be nearly the same as being there helping you.

hello. English is universal language!!! skype (rcgomes84) thanks!! only one thing... today i test a solenoid conected to the battery and multimeter set to 2ohm and i think dont have continuty, because the multimeter only stays at 1, never go to 000!!! solenoid make the noise,but dont show continuity!! il post a video

if a have a faulty solenoid, when ii try to start the motocycle down the street(push start) the bike dont start... this is nothing to do with solenoid or is a possibility?? thanks

iansoady

That little clip clearly shows the solenoid isn't working (provided you don't have the meter on a very insensitive ohm setting - it should be on 10 ohm or so). You can hear the coil working but the points are probably burnt out.

As you can hear it clicking, did you also hear it when it was fitted to the bike?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

I agree with Ian, the solenoid looks like it's done. The fact that it won't start on the button is probably the solenoid as you've just shown in the video.

But, as you suggest, the bike should start with a push so you still have a problem somewhere.  And if it's not starting with a push (assuming the battery is good) then it's not the clutch or side stand wiring.

I've been away a while and haven't read the whole post, but assuming the battery is good, all the right lights come on when you turn the key, and  you hear the fuel pump prime ( a whirring whining sound for about 5 seconds) you should be able to bump start it with a push.  If all those things are right and it won't start, it points to a lack of spark, either because the fuse supplying the coils has blown (the coils get 12v from the ECU which grounds through the coil pack) or the crankshaft sensor is U/S.  One other place to look is the two big plugs on the ECU.  Check that all the pins are clean and not corroded.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rcgomes

hi, turn the meter in 20 ohms is the same result (1) dont have continuity.whn i try start bike only listen the fuel pump!! pull gas! i think the problem start after i try to jump start the bike with car battery help!! i remember the cables stay very hot! and maby burn something!!! because after try this then show up this problem! yes the bike in a push start doesnt work either. so maby is another things!!! because if only soneloid push starting is ok, and is not the case

i check the fuses in the litle box the start fuse 30amps is ok and the positive battery fuse 25 amps is also goog. is possible the main power relay?

witch is this fuse supplying the coils ?? i only see the fuses in this litle grey box and the battery positive cable fuse 25 amps  and there is  no broken fuses in the box

thanks