News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What I did yeserday

Started by Bixxer Bob, July 10, 2013, 08:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

I fitted a new rear Hagon, lowered 10mm, dropped the forks through the yokes 10mm to keep her level and fitted a 19T front sprocket.  I didn't bother with the extra £125 for remote preload as I plan (some time in the distant future) to try and fit the kit off the old Triumph one.  It'll take some faffing about and a bit of machining but I reckon its doable. 

First impressions:

The lowering - can now get my feet down more easily; 10mm doesn't sound much but it makes a real difference, so happy with that.

Handling - because I lowered the front too the handling is unchanged; still turns in really well without being twitchy.  Like when I fitted  a Hagon on the 'Bird they both seem to take a few miles to warm up whereas I never noticed that with the Triumph shock.  While cold they're a bit hard but once warm they work well.  I know Hagon's cheap compared with other makes but I'm happy with it. 

19T sprocket - been done by loads of other people so no news really.  It doesn't punch out of corners quite as well so needs a lower gear but I can live with that.  The calmer cruising is more than worth it although I'm not getting the 1000rpm drop in top that folks have talked about,  it's more like 500rpm I think.  I'll be trying a bit of fuel map tweaking to see if I can restore the drive out of corners without  messing up everything else.  Also, and probably as important as the calmer top gear revs, is the effect pottering through town.  The higher gear and lower revs puts more load on the engine at 15-30 mph which is actually a benefit as the ECU is using a different part of the fuel map resulting in less snatchiness.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

After market shock :icon_eek:,19t sprocket :icon_eek: blimey you'll be doing the airbox mod next  :icon_lol:

Welcome to Tiger Triple there's loads of mods you can do  :icon_lol:,sorry John boy couldn't help it!!!

cosmo

How do you park up?? I moved the forks down 10mm and had to shorten the stand about as much, just to avoid Tigger taking a nap.

BTW, I'm a tall bloke, moved the forks to quicken the steering a bit.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

matts23

I did the airbox mod and 19t sprocket last week.  Already had a Quill evo2 pipe, K&N and remap.  Did a nice job keeping up with a 2012 BMW GS, 2013 Multistrada GT, 2013 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 and FJR1300 for 400 miles last Saturday.  Couldn't be happier with this old girl.  She's got some fight left in her. 
----------------------------------------------------------

2002 Tiger (Roulette Green)
1996 Honda XR400R Supermoto St. Legal

Stitch

Bixxer- Have you experienced any tightness in the front end after you performed the 10mm drop? Any quicker in steering?
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

Bixxer Bob

Dropping the front didn't change mine because I FITTED A SHORTENED REAR SHOCK but normally it would have made the steering quicker or, if you like, more sensitive.

Oi Chris ....  :pottytrain2  It was time because my Triumph shock was knackered,the damping was all gone.  Might get round to the airbox mod next time. I even have a spare I bought 4yrs ago but never got round to it.

I'm not completely sold on the 19T after 300 miles in 2 days, two up in Wales.  I'll decide after I do the airbox mod. :icon_mrgreen:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

I'm not surprised!! put your hand over you mouth and see how well you operate  :icon_lol:

I can understand the shock,the days of folks spending big bucks on an old bike are gone,but to run a bike without a map open can 19t and the airbox mod I'm gobsmacked  :icon_eek: without those it's bloody stone age,I think mine shows 90mph at 6000 which is just nice and laid back,with plenty of go if I need it.

Stitch

Crap...must have read the thread a few times and still didn't pick out you installed a lowered shock. Bold print works just fine though. :icon_redface:
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Chris Canning on July 17, 2013, 08:53:55 PM
I'm not surprised!! put your hand over you mouth and see how well you operate  :icon_lol:

I can understand the shock,the days of folks spending big bucks on an old bike are gone,but to run a bike without a map open can 19t and the airbox mod I'm gobsmacked  :icon_eek: without those it's bloody stone age,I think mine shows 90mph at 6000 which is just nice and laid back,with plenty of go if I need it.

Never felt I needed it because - up till now -I've not done a lot of long miles on the Tiger, that's what the Blackbird is for.  With my own map and a Blue Flame can there's always been plenty of grunt when I needed it but the top end vibes have started to get on my wife's nerves recently so I did the 19T, which means the airbox mod is now needed where it wasn't before.

Cos

Nicely done.
I certainly haven't regretted spending the money on the Wilbers, though I have to admit I got a screaming deal on it :)

Are you still running the same map you sent me or have you tweaked it since?

Bixxer Bob

Same map but Metalguru has a one he's developed over many months, you might want to try his  :icon_wink: