News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tigger down, and out, I'm afraid

Started by cosmo, July 27, 2013, 12:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmo

Had the accident at 7:30 this morning. I was southbound on rt47. There was a pick-up truck pulling a construction trailer turning left to my left side, and slightly ahead. The light was red, so he was correct to turn, as the drive is before the light. A Pontiac ran the red, at a high rate  of speed (see pic!), hitting the trailer, and bouncing off into my lane, ergo, me. All I really saw was the trailer explode, then the car in front of me. I think I got the bike stopped,  but the car was still moving too fast. There is frame damage, so I fear t'will be a total loss.

For those with Google maps
https://maps.google.com/
search "rt 47 and rt 64, illinois" for an idea. Now, the wheel for the  trailer was found at the bridge, behind (north) of me. I was just before the apron for the fuel station. THAT'S how fast he was going!

I fractured the small bone in my left wrist, and bruised/strained everything. Was wearing all gear.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

PeteH

Glad your still able post :thumbsup could have been a lot worse...unfortunately for Tigger it was :icon_sad:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Chris Canning

All part of biking,you survived that's all that matters,but I'm confused!! thought your tiger was black or do you have two is  Timbox's shock still on the bike as I see it's in the insurance compound,it will be it will be a double blow to loose that.

Spud

get well soon mate

cheers Spud   :thumbsup

atokad

No!  Glad you only have "minor" injuries.  I have a Caspian Blue '06 Tiger, so hard to look at.   :icon_sad:

JTT

Glad to hear your OK Cosmo.  Bikes and bits can be replaced at the end of the day, bodies are harder to get spares for.
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

cosmo

I appreciate all the good wishes, thank you all!!

Good news - got back on a bike today for a 250 mile trip (back seat, 'Wing/Hannigan GTL outfit)

Bad news - Tigger needs frame - NLA from Triumph, so will be totalled.

More good - found two bikes for sale locally, by  friends, both well-cared for examples.

More bad - both Gold Wings, and after 250 miles on the back of one, I might be tempted.

Cosmo

cosmo

Saw that one. Notice the right side passenger peg mount is torn off?? And the steering head lower is ovaled?? 

I did.

But thanks.

Cosmo

Mustang

Stitch

Glad you made it through what could have certainly been worse with minor injuries.

An opportunity for a "custom" rebuild with Mustang's frame suggestions? Will you have the opportunity to buy back your totaled bike?
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

cosmo

Yes, I can buy the bike back, but it will have a 'salvage' title in Illinois. Which hurts in a lot of ways, one being that it's almost impossible to sell as Illinois require a certified shop to sign off on repairs, which is impossible if I repair it.

Also, the VIN is on the frame, so I'm not real sure of the legality of swapping frames, but I think I know the answer, and it's 'NO'.

Plus, the insurance estimate came in Friday, it's well good, good enough that I am willing to be shut of this affair.

Lastly, I've found a replacement. A friend is selling his '83 Honda Aspencade. A completely new direction, true, but no one said I had to continue along the path I was wandering.

Will I have a Triumph in the future?? Probably, I've nearly always had one in the past. But for now, we'll travel this path. Wife is enthusiastic about this one, so going in will be fair easy.

I might stop in here a time or two, might not, but I do want to say I've enjoyed every pixel.

Cheers,

Cosmo

Stitch

I was thinking along the lines of buying another frame (with title) and placing all your parts from your old one with "custom" tweaks that have littered these pages for a one-off tiger.

However, it sounds that one chapter is closing and a brand new one is opening. Wish you the best Cosmo and hope you enjoy your "new" ride to the fullest.

2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

coachgeo

the Gods were on your side!  Could have been WAY worse.

Can see NOT getting a Tiger at this time. Rather you outwardly realize it or not;  Not getting a Tiger right now can help in dealing with the mental aspects remaining from this event.   Maybe later... which could be the marking point of "fully recovered"

Ride on :thumbsup
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

aeronca

im late to the party as usual. sorry to hear about this, glad your alright. :thumbsup
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!