News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Imperial to Metric conversion

Started by DavidR8, August 21, 2013, 02:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidR8

Hi, I'm the proud new owner of an '06 Caspian Blue 955. The bike is originally from the US so has speedometer units in mph.

I live in Canada and wonder what would be involved in switching over to a metric (kmh) speedometer. Obviously a kmh guage, but I have to assume there would be some electronic wizardry.

Its not a burning need, but it would be more elegant than putting markers on the speedo for the common legal speeds  :icon_smile:

2006 Girly, stone stock!

Chris Canning

You have two options either trawl one of the European ebay sites for a speedo(I've seen 3 clusters forsale but an individual speedo),or go for one of these,I've had mine for the best part of 10 years.

http://www.yellr.com/yb_home.htm

DavidR8

Thanks Chris, that looks to be the trick. Many thanks!
2006 Girly, stone stock!

Chris Canning

If that's the route you go,when the Yellow box comes do a mock up first, you have to solder it in the speedo wire just make sure it is high enough up so you can tuck it behind the front fairing,I cheated I bought a spare speedo incase a cocked it up  :icon_redface:

DavidR8

Thanks for the advice.

I was looking at the product website. If I understand correctly the device adds a percentage correction. For mph to kmh it's 38%. Logically this means the old 100 mph marker would become the 100kmh marker. Or am I off my rocker?
2006 Girly, stone stock!

Chris Canning

Yep!!,the new version has a far greater variation than mine,mine is/was only 25% either way but was good enough for my smaller front wheel.

Or as I said in the other post onto one of the European ebay sites and by a clock with clicks!!

blacktiger

As the speedo has kph markings anyway. If you can get it out of the case, why don't you just make those markings a bit more prominent?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Sin_Tiger

Using my Steamer in Asia, the KPH scale was hard to read for my jaundiced eyes. I just made some little pointer / triangle stickers from a labelling machine label and stuck them on the glass at prominent points, i.e. urban, trunk and max limits, mananged not to get a ticket  :icon_cool:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

DavidR8

As Sin_Tiger said, the markings are all but invisible in the sun; the colour of the text and small size are the issue.

I did use some "White-Out" correction fluid to make a few marks at 30, 50, 60, and 80. Above that, I'm used to the numbers. I think that's from years of highway riding in my dad's old Ford truck. Nothing to do but look at the signposts and do math in my head. Round town, well there was too much to look at so I never paid attention.
2006 Girly, stone stock!