News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fork spring update

Started by wardy, August 28, 2013, 12:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wardy

any advice concerning new fork springs /oil etc for 885i iam no racer so just to prevent dipping as much

Chris Canning

Well the cheapest solution is to train yourself to be a full second on the rear(so it squats) before using the front,alternatively their are various aftermarket spring options and if you do a search you find various personnel preferences for what oil weight and quantity.

Even though the forks for the 885i and the 955i are the same on the outside there's quite a difference with whats inside hence the 885i being real squidgy and I improved my 955 ones a lot so you'll be in for a real treat,you can have re-valved but that's get way to complicated.

Oh just looked up on my pin board above the computer  :icon_eek: piece of paper with 720cc 15wt but all my riding is done two up.

DavidR8

Chris, I'm curious about what mods you have done to your forks. Can you elaborate or was it just the oil bit you mentioned?
2006 Girly, stone stock!

Chris Canning

All I have done is fit Ohlins springs and gone to 15 wt oil with a steady increase to 720cc,and if you go this route just remember until your a few miles down the road it will feel fairly stiff,what I should have done 10 years ago is get off my backside and have the forks revalved it's called hindsite  :icon_redface:

Bixxer Bob

Once you've had a Girly for a while you 'll find you do as Chris first suggested naturally.  That is: plan ahead, use the back brake to settle her down then the front to get the stopping done.  Grabbing a handful of front at the last second is going to get interesting... :bug_eye

If you've not looked at pics of Chris's bike you should, it's well tricked up starting with the Beringer brakes  :love10
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Dutch

Mine is so un-agressive on the brakes I don't feel a problem with the standard set-up. Had the forks serviced a couple of month ago but to my best knowledge it's still with oem springs. Must say mine is a cast wheel and iirc I've read those springs are less soft then on the spoke wheel Girlies.

DavidR8

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on August 30, 2013, 10:20:34 AM
Once you've had a Girly for a while you 'll find you do as Chris first suggested naturally.  That is: plan ahead, use the back brake to settle her down then the front to get the stopping done.  Grabbing a handful of front at the last second is going to get interesting... :bug_eye

If you've not looked at pics of Chris's bike you should, it's well tricked up starting with the Beringer brakes  :love10

I did try this on my commute yesterday and was surprised by the reduction in dive or certainly a reduction in the rate of dive if that makes sense.
2006 Girly, stone stock!

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...