News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Press start button,nothing.Press again ok.Getting worse.

Started by aesdj, August 29, 2013, 08:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aesdj

Noticed the last couple of times I've been out that when I press the start button it won't start, nothing.Press it again and it'll turn over and start. Anyway went out on Bank Holiday Monday and it took maybe 6 presses before it would turn over.This seems to only happen when I first pull it out of the garage and it hasnt been started for a week or two.My thinking is ignition switch but that lights up the dash so I'm guessing thats fine. Starter button but I carnt see that and my prime suspect,the side stand switch as there known for failing.Any idea's?

Bixxer Bob

Mine was doing that too. I thought it was clutch switch as flexing the clutch a couple of times usually sorted it but it didn't improve after cleaning it so needs further investigation.....   
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NortonCharlie

One of my Tigers is doing a similar thing.  I have found I am having to be very careful to push straight in on the button.  My guess the starter button itself is going out on mine.  I have seen the clutch switch get finicky on a couple other bikes but I don't think that is the problem with mine. 
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Black Pearl

Had a very similar experience with my 06. Ended up being a bad battery. After installing the new battery we also discovered that the rec/reg was not charging the battery properly and replaced it... I believe we put in a Rick's reg/rec.
2006 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Black Pearl on September 01, 2013, 07:13:16 PM
Had a very similar experience with my 06. Ended up being a bad battery. After installing the new battery we also discovered that the rec/reg was not charging the battery properly and replaced it... I believe we put in a Rick's reg/rec.

Thanks fro the inout BP, but that's not the case with mine.  The battery is nearly new and when it does eventually turn over it does it with enthusiasm and fires as usual.  This is as if the kill switch had been used.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Starter solenoid gets some bad corrosion on the connections from the starter button and through the interlock circuit.
Best to check all small and large connectors, then give them a clean and grease.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

TigerTrax

I think you need to check battery connections and any loose wires.

It always helps if you state the year Tiger.
2000 - 2002 were known for broken solder
in ignition switch. Plenty of comments on that.

Side stand switch.

Things get loose and corroded.

Get it fixed cover with dielectric grease.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'