News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stalled, now difficult to start. Suspect head gasket

Started by tntmo, September 06, 2013, 05:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tntmo

I picked up a nice 2005 Tiger a few months ago, it had high miles but the price was good and it had supposedly been rebuilt a while back.  I've been enjoying it and had no issues at all until a week back or so. 

Slight smell of coolant while riding on the SoCal freeway and noticed a minor power loss that went away after a few seconds.  My exit was 2-3 miles away so I continued, as I got to the top of the off-ramp the bike wasn't idling right and stalled and wouldn't start.  I rolled into a strip mall and tried to start the bike but it was turning over slow and sort of seemed to want to start.  If I give the bike a bit of throttle it will start and seems to run ok, but won't idle. 

The fact that it was turning over slow lead me to believe the battery was weak, or stator/regulator issues.  I got a new battery but it still turns over a bit slower than usual and won't idle.  Now it's leaking coolant all around the front of the engine, maybe a radiator cap or thermostat issue? 

Most of the posts I've read on here lead me to believe I have a head gasket issue.  Anyone care to help confirm?

Bixxer Bob

First, welcome, please fill in the location part of your profile so we know where in the world you are.

Next, you need to find the source of the leak.  Clean it off and give it a while. If it doesn't leak you'll have to start it to provoke one.  No use tearing the head off if it's only an elbow, hose or rad cap.  Once you know where, you'll have a much better idea of what to do next. 

How many miles has it done?  And when you say "rebuilt" by whom and what did they do?  And why?  These engines are pretty much bullet proof if the oil is changed regularly so a tear down is unusual.  Some weep a tiny amount of coolant from the head gasket area in the winter when it's very cold but owners usually leave that well alone.  Maybe the previous owner thought the gasket needed changing?  These are all pointers in working out where you go next. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

tntmo

Thanks for the reply, thought I had put info on my profile but it's there now. 

The bike has 80,000 miles on it, so I guess that's why it had a "claimed" rebuild on it.  I didn't get any paperwork with it so took it with a grain of salt.  The bike was in nice shape and ran strong so I was happy with it.

When I had the initial stall and poor starting/idling, there was just a minor bit of fluid leakage noted.  I could see where it had leaked and left residue on the left engine cases.  After driving it aound a few miles in the neighborhood, it started puking fluid out from near the upper left side of the radiator. 

Guess I'll pull the tank off today and see what I find.

Bixxer Bob

Sounds like nothing more sinister than the rad cap.  Fingers crossed for you.  The running issue is probably unrelated to the leak. I know these bikes pretty well, but I'm struggling with an idle problem as well at the moment. I've done all the usual stuff and nothing's helped (TB balance, reload tune, valve clearance, yada yada,,,)  Only thing left to try is a new set of plugs but don't have time at the moment so will probably get to it next week sometime.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

tntmo

I'm hopeful that it's all just a coincidence with the slow start and poor idle.  I also upgraded the regulator to a MOSFET FH012AA when I changed the battery.

I haven't had the Tiger for long, but it is working it's way up to my favorite bike I've owned.  Considering the fact that I've probably owned 50 bikes, that's saying something.

Bixxer Bob

Metalguru responded with this reply before I split the hijack off your post:

"Sounds like you are on the right track with the Rad cap as if the last owner hasn't changed it, the life expectancy is well over due. Don't forget the header tank elbows as they can fracture and are best replaced with brass equivalents".

tntmo

I've been busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest lately, but finally got some time to work on the Tiger.  I tracked down the coolant leak to the radiator and had it repaired.  The shop said it's not going to last much longer, but they patched it up so I can get this bike figured out.

I installed the new radiator and while I had the bike apart checked for anything suspicious looking but found nothing out of the ordinary.  I got it back together and it's running the same, low idle but seems to rev fine.  I took it on a run up and down the freeway and she seems to run fine with plenty of power. 

Once I got home and shut down, the fan ran for a good while...maybe a minute or two.  The bike refuses to start when it's hot, it cranks slower than usual and sort of sounds like it will start but it won't.

Another thing I noticed is that prior to all of this happening, any time I turned the key on I could hear the fuel pump go for a few seconds and during that time the starter would not turn.  As soon as the pump cycled, the starter would spin the bike up.  Now, as soon as I turn the key on I can spin the starter.   Is this related to my Tiger troubles?

Help please!  I'm about to deploy to Hawaii for ten weeks and don't need this on my mind while I'm gone!   :icon_scratch:

Bixxer Bob

Not starting when hot is a symptom of failing crankshaft sensor - more common on Steamers but not unheard of on Girlies.  But I'm not promising it will will fix it, just that its somewhere to look.

tntmo

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on September 18, 2013, 09:16:27 PM
Not starting when hot is a symptom of failing crankshaft sensor - more common on Steamers but not unheard of on Girlies.  But I'm not promising it will will fix it, just that its somewhere to look.

I will check that out, thanks for your input.

Any input about the starter turning over immediately when I turn on the key?  Like I said, it never did that before.  Not sure if that's how it's supposed to be or if the way it is now is how it's supposed to be. 

NortonCharlie

I am guessing you might have a tight exhaust valve or 2.  My high mile Tiger does this, the valve are sinking and go tight after about 4-5000 miles.  I replaced my battery because it seemed to be cranking slow, it didn't change that,  plus it was hard to start hot.  I adjusted my valve and the cranking went back to sounding normal and the starting problem went away.  My theory is when cranking, before it fires, the compression in the cylinder on its power stroke pushes the crank to help it spin.  Then the hot start problem, with the aluminum head valve clearances actually tighten when hot contrary to what one would expect.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

tntmo

Quote from: NortonCharlie on September 21, 2013, 04:35:09 PM
I am guessing you might have a tight exhaust valve or 2.  My high mile Tiger does this, the valve are sinking and go tight after about 4-5000 miles.  I replaced my battery because it seemed to be cranking slow, it didn't change that,  plus it was hard to start hot.  I adjusted my valve and the cranking went back to sounding normal and the starting problem went away.  My theory is when cranking, before it fires, the compression in the cylinder on its power stroke pushes the crank to help it spin.  Then the hot start problem, with the aluminum head valve clearances actually tighten when hot contrary to what one would expect.

Thanks, I'll look at that in December.  Nothing I can do now, I leave for Hawaii Monday morning.

Dutch

tntmo

I'd rather be home, ten weeks away from family isn't good.  Also, it's riding season in the desert! 

Quote from: Dutch on September 22, 2013, 12:21:15 PM
Quote from: tntmo on September 21, 2013, 08:51:09 PM
I leave for Hawaii Monday morning.
Poor you. Tried to feel sorry, failed.

:icon_wink:

tntmo

I finally got around to getting my Tiger running properly.  After a rough ten weeks in Hawaii I got home and had to get the house back in order and deal with the holidays.  After that, tore into the bike.

I pulled the valve cover to check the valves, only one slightly tight intake so I ordered up a shim.  I also noticed that one of the rubber lines going to the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV stepper motor) was cracked so replaced that along with the IACV which was suspect.  I started the bike and did the 12 minute tune and it seems to be back to it's old self. 

:wheel

HockleyBoy

Nice when it turns out to be something relatively inexpensive  :icon_lol:
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport