News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Do your bags leak?

Started by DavidR8, September 10, 2013, 04:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidR8

I've got the factory panniers on my 2006. The other day during work we had a good rain. and I came out of work to find a couple of tablespoons of water had collected in the bottom of each case.

Not surprising since there are about 300 holes from all of the various rivets and such. Has any one had this problem and if you did, were you able to find a remedy?
2006 Girly, stone stock!

birddogone

Hey Dave, My 06 does the same thing, still not near as bad as my old Beemer bags. I just use zip locks and trash bags to store things in.
Rod
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

"If it doesn't run on fossil fuel or gun powder I'm not interested"

Montydog

Mine leaked too last friday albeit it was dreadful rain i was very disappointed with wet kit on arrival in Scotland!

DavidR8

I've used this product to seal up vexing leaks on our boat ports and it works great. Might give it a shot.
http://www.captaintolley.com/
2006 Girly, stone stock!

gbcphoto

Only way I found to stop leaking in my factory bags, was to seal every screw head and nut inside and out with a good dab of silicone. Since that, dry as a bone in the cases.
2001 Gato Verde
1969 H1 500
2001 XR 650L
2000 XR 400
2006 KX 250F

Dutch

Fortunatly most days i've used the cat were dry. Can't remember my stuff was wet after a day with enough rain, so if there has been some moisture in the cases, it wasn't much. Have put most of the stuff in plastic bags though, both to keep it a bit organised and to keep dry in case some water comes in the case.

Sin_Tiger

I've sealed up my Trax boxes like that, Triumph are not alone in box leaks and I have mates that reluctantly grumble about their pricey BMW boxes too.  I suspect many box makers use the same production line as the Land Rover Defender  :icon_rolleyes:

I use these roll top bags inside my soft bags rather than the daft outer rain covers that usually either get blown off or end up tattered when I forget to remove them  :icon_redface: Also I just pull them out at a stop rather than faff about demounting and refitting every night.

Roll tops are cheep enough these days, Hein Gericht or Lomo do decent stuff.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on September 22, 2013, 01:29:07 PM

Roll tops are cheep enough these days, Hein Gericht or Lomo do decent stuff.

Aldi do them occasionally, good quality and cheap.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Dutch

And red, so visability is good. Have good experience with one.