News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The perennial fork noise issue.

Started by DavidR8, September 11, 2013, 07:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidR8

I know you are going to say: been there done that, ain't no fix baby. Move on, nothing to see here. Next customer please.

I've got the dreaded noise in my '06. Definitely is not the fan.

So I've been riding at very low speed over speed bumps in a local parking lot, no helmet and listening very intently, putting my ear very close to the bar mounts.

The noise I hear is two part, an initial rap followed by lower pitched, more hollow sound. Kinda like a "tick, rock" type of sound. And it sounds like it is happening very close to the top of the forks.

The Triumph party line is that it is the rebound damper making the noise. Can't be fixed.

So at the risk of getting blasted, a couple of questions
1) Has any one completely disassembled a fork leg to see this infamous rebound damper?
2) Does a change fork oil weight affect the sound in any way?

I'm obsessing about this problem like so many great folks have already done!

2006 Girly, stone stock!

Bixxer Bob

A clack when you go over speed bumps?  I'm told it's the valve that's supposed to help it not dive. Always meant to try to do something about it but never got round to it.  Doesn't seem to actually do anything but make a racket IMHO :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

DavidR8

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on September 11, 2013, 02:37:43 PM
A clack when you go over speed bumps?  I'm told it's the valve that's supposed to help it not dive. Always meant to try to do something about it but never got round to it.  Doesn't seem to actually do anything but make a racket IMHO :icon_rolleyes:

Likewise, I find it very annoying.

just pondering here...if the valve is a loose fit in the forks, the pressure from the impact might be lifting the valve off whatever it rests on, then the fork spring is whacking it back down causing the noise.

Like I said I'd sure like to hear from anyone who has disassembled their forks, even if they replaced the guts with cartridge emulators or such. 
2006 Girly, stone stock!