News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger handling and carbs

Started by ssevy, September 26, 2013, 03:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

I just got home from a pretty spirited ride aboard my 95 Tiger, and I have to say that the engineers at Triumph know their shit.
My buddy just bought an 03 Daytona 955i a week ago, and he and I did a very spirited ride on Saturday for his first shakedown ride on it. For that one, I rode my Legend, and we had a blast running through the twisties in 3rd gear and just letting her rip, so to speak. Our tires were worn right out to the edge, and we were grateful that we encountered no law enforcement types on that ride :icon_wink:
Tonight he and I rode some sweepers and twisties, and I swear that I can go faster on this Tiger than I can on the Legend. He was busy working the shifter and riding hard on the Daytona, and I just put it in 6th gear and kept twisting the throttle. Honestly, this Tiger just goes where you are thinking it should, and I really feel no physical sensation of countersteering at all. I'm not sure if it is the narrower front tire or larger diameter or what, but this thing just flies stable as a rock through the twisties, even with the soft front end and pretty harsh ass end (probably needs a rebuild).
It makes no sense to me at all, as the Legend has a great front end and a brand new Penske shock on back, plus Pilot Road 3 tires with decent tread on them. Still, the Tiger just feels more stable and like a rocket in comparison.
The only downside is I haven't had the carbs off yet, and there is an awful flat spot when you crack the throttle hard to get moving from a standstill.  Running about 5000 RPMs and up though, and this buxom girl likes to move! I did notice the Powerbronze screen was vibrating pretty badly whenever I got over 90 MPH, but the bike itself was perfectly stable.
I have always heard that Triumphs handle really well, and the two that I have in my garage certainly support this.
I'm loving this bike!
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

rf9rider

Good to see your enjoying it.

As for the carbs, try a can of seafoam, it might clear the carbs, saves having to take them off.

threepot

I think its the only bike you'll ever need?? :icon_biggrin:
Try what rf9 says,if that fails,take carbs off..give em a clean/check. Its the best way to 'bond' with your 'Steamer' :love10
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ssevy

I bought a bottle of K 100 fuel treatment and put in the Tiger last night, then I let her idle for about 30 minutes then shut her down. Will see how this works. I've used Techron, Seafoam, and Star Tron in the past, and while Star Tron keeps a fuel system spotless once you have taken everyting apart and cleaned it first, I have not used it just as a cleaner. The Techron is pretty well-respected as is the Seafoam (which I still swear is just lacquer thinner if my nose can be trusted), but I thought I would be the test case for the K100, as I have heard good things about it. I'll keep you updated.

Sin_Tiger

Hard to believe that was 20 years ago, must have been a shock to many of that time.

Wonder why carb blockages are such an issue, I wonder if it was the materials of the time that Mikuni used  :new_popcornsmiley
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

Certainly the ethanol here in the USA is the primary culprit for us. Back before ethanol gas still got stale, but it lasted untreated much longer before it began to break down. I was off bikes for 25 years and have only experienced the ethanol fuel since returning. Was carb and fuel system contamination as big an issue for bikes pre-ethanol? By the way, the Mikunis aren't alone in the fouling department,  as the Keihins on my other bike had similar issues.

Bixxer Bob

The Mikunis on my 350cc Yamaha are 41yrs old and much simpler in design. They never suffer any problems despite sitting all winter with fuel in them. Go figure.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ssevy

The K100 really helped, and the flat spot upon acceleration is mostly gone. I ran it a bit, let it sit and work, and then repeated for several days. Having two bikes in the garage helps, as you can actually let one sit for a bit on the days when you just have to ride!
I've got the new coils and plug wires, and will do a complete teardown this winter to thoroughly clean the carbs and replace the plugs, coolant flush, etc..

I also rode it two up for the first time this week, and I didn't even notice the passenger, except the headlights were aiming a bit higher than usual. This is a great bike for two up day tripping!