News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Blinker Issue

Started by jch, October 09, 2013, 06:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jch

I guess you did not read the entire thread before responding:

Quote from: jch on October 11, 2013, 04:40:21 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions but I am still stuck. I removed the left housing and plugged it into the right side and it worked perfectly. I tried the right housing on the left side and nothing. I don't think I am getting juice to the left side.  Not sure if it is the black wire or the white one but even if I knew then what?  Thanks again for everyone's help.

Everything works except no juice to the white wire!

Mustang

I read it ..............a month ago .
I forgot.
it's a pretty simple circuit , so yes you should give up and go to the dealer

let us know what it was ................ :ear

it's gonna be flasher relay or broken wire .

jch

Ok, I'll bite.  It is not the relay.  I unplugged it, made sure it was clean and reinstalled.  All the other blinkers work.  I am all ears if you can help me find the broken wire so  I don't have to take to the dealer for a "pretty simple circuit".

Sin_Tiger

Every day is a day at school :thumbsup just a pity we couldn't get a resolution.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

do you know how to use the ohms setting on your meter ?
if no than take it to the dealer
if yes we'll continue this conversation

jch

Quote from: Mustang on November 07, 2013, 01:33:29 PM

do you know how to use the ohms setting on your meter ?
if no than take it to the dealer
if yes we'll continue this conversation

Yes  :ear

Mustang

alrighty then ................... check back tonite and i will have a nice guide for you with photos .
after all a picture is worth a thousand words  :thumbsup

jch

Quote from: Mustang on November 07, 2013, 04:28:47 PM
alrighty then ................... check back tonite and i will have a nice guide for you with photos .
after all a picture is worth a thousand words  :thumbsup

Awesome, pictures would be great.  I have a Haynes manual with the wiring diagram but it is greek to me.  I have pulled the front fairing and the seat and can see a lot of wires but where to start to find the bad one is well beyond my realm of expertise.  Just to summarize again, I have isolated it to the white wire in the left rear blinker.  No juice.  I even cut into the casing about an inch from the connector to insure the connector was not bad. I also know the black wire is good. Thanks

Mustang

#15 is the left rear blinker and #9 is the switch at the handlebar .#4  is the flasher . the wire we don't know is good or not is the green with red stripe and it runs from the rear connector at the blinker all the way to the connector at the front (according to my schematic it's the #1 pin )that the switch assembly plugs into

BUT ....First let's make sure we have ground to the connector at the rear of bike that the blinker plugs into .
set your multi meter to ohms , I usually just use the audible setting cuz we aint concerned with the actual ohm reading , we are looking for continuity .. touch the two leads together and the reading will change from a "1" to 0. xx. In this case it's 0.05 on my meter . that shows the resistance of the two leads , it also confirms we have a closed circuit . The camera flash washed out the meter display so it's hard to see .

now touch either one of the leads to a bare spot on the frame like a bolt head or the frame itself as long as you can touch metal not paint .
with the other lead touch it to the contact pin in the plug connector in the wiring loom that is the BLACK wire , not the end from the lamp assembly .

you should see the meter change from a "1" to close to what the # was when you touched the two leads together .
this will confirm if you have ground or not .

now because I'm not takin my steamer apart any further , there won't be any more pics . But you should have an idea of what's next to test the "white " wire . although the wire we are looking for in the loom is green with red stripe

Now let's test the white wire side for continuity .
We know we have power to and from the flasher because the other blinkers work .

follow the wiring loom from the switch down to where it connects in the harness to do the test for + volt side of the circuit for continuity.
unplug the connector and stick one lead of the meter on the pin with the green wire with red stripe (its the one that connects to the white wire at the other end where the blinker is ) now touch the other lead to the white wire pin on the tail end . if the wiring if it is good you will see your meter change from  "1" to 0.xx . if it does you don't have a wiring problem . If it doesn't change from a "1" on the meter than you have to keep tracing the green wire with red stripe  until you  find where the break is

Mustang

And a wicked EASY way to confirm continuity of the positive side is to unplug the left blinker on the front and the one at the rear and then touch a lead to the white wire pin on each end of the bike . if the meter changes from a "1" then the wiring is good .

jch

Problem solved.  I had checked all of the wiring except the most obvious -- the connections under the rear fender. I took the rear fender off and the left side connection was bad.  Replaced it and all blinkers now work. Thanks for everyone's help.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mustang

well done .............. :qgaraduate
I'm guessing that blinker repair from dealer would have been in the 150-200 dollar  range . :bug_eye

Sin_Tiger

Now go revel in that smug satisfaction of knowing more about your bike, having fixed it (with some help from the man who's middle name is patience) without having to resort to going into a dealer.  :thumbsup but most of all go and  :wheel
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

:thumbsup Another RESULT for Mustang and Tiger Triple  :XXsunsmile  Award yourself a  :qgaraduate  for getting there.    :icon_lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Marc

that's the goal of this forum  :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39